Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I have a rMBP running Lion since it was purchased before ML was released. Is it worth upgrading or waiting for OS X 10.9? If I waited, would it still be $20 or would I have to upgrade to ML then pay another $20 to get the next version?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Is it worth upgrading or waiting for OS X 10.9?
Worth *what*? What kind of value assessment are you basing this on? Is it money or features of the OS itself? If it's the later, nobody can answer this for you as everyone will have subjective opinions based on their own individual usage habits.

If I waited, would it still be $20 or would I have to upgrade to ML then pay another $20 to get the next version?

If you upgrade within 30 days of the next release, 10.9 would be free (I think it's 30 days).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you have no reason to upgrade and you like Lion stick with it. I myself prefer ML and its a solid OS, but to each his own.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Worth *what*? What kind of value assessment are you basing this on? Is it money or features of the OS itself? If it's the later, nobody can answer this for you as everyone will have subjective opinions based on their own individual usage habits.

If you upgrade within 30 days of the next release, 10.9 would be free (I think it's 30 days).

It's free to all MBP owners?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It's free to all MBP owners?
On second thought, I don't actually know.

I researched this a bit and found that Apple's "Up to date" program applies to new mac purchases that have an older OS on it. (which entitles you to a free OS within 30 days.)

Now I'm not sure what happens if you buy only ML then 2 weeks later Apple releases 10.9. I can't find anything in writing anyway.

Sorry to mislead you.

Suffice it to say that 10.9 won't appear until Summer at the earliest anyway so your upgrade to ML (should you chose to do so) won't be entirely wasted. After all, we're not talking hundreds of dollars here.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
It's worth it to go to ML from Lion, IMO. It's less flaky than Lion, and the extra integration with iOS is awesome if you have an iPhone.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
C'mon, you spend $2.4k on a laptop, and wondering whether or not to plonk down $20 on an OS upgrade?

It is really much better - Notification Centre is far more useful than you may imagine.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I think it is worth it. iMessage is nice and notification Center is also nice. :apple:

iMessage is a joke. If you don't close it often it will cause problems. It also gets lost in longer threads. Another cool Apple feature that wasn't tested worth a crap.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
iMessage is a joke. If you don't close it often it will cause problems. It also gets lost in longer threads. Another cool Apple feature that wasn't tested worth a crap.

oh yeah I forgot about that one iMessage always get lost with threads. iMessage is not very perfect but it is a cool feature anyway. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.