Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
radek42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Using LR5-beta until release

Greetings,

I was about pull the trigger on LR4 last week, but did not.

Then came LR5-beta announcement.

Here is the point: I'd like to use LR soon, but I feel stupid to buy LR4 and pay for upgrade couple months down the road. I contacted Adobe about free LR5 upgrade, but that's apparently no-go.

So my question: is public beta usually robust enough to be used until LR5 release?

Thanks, R>
radek42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
mahood
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by radek42 View Post
So my question: is public beta usually robust enough to be used until LR5 release?
Disclaimer: I've not downloaded the LR5 beta yet, so I can't comment on it particularly.

I used the LR4 Beta while that was new, and never had a major problem with it, but then I wasn't using it full time - I'm a hobbyist rather than a pro, so it might not be suitable for heavy use. I guess if you're not already using it, you'll probably not be stress-testing it either.

And with any software (but especially beta software) keep backups of your images somewhere safe - if it does have a terrible seizure of some sort, you need to be able to get your images back! I have a copy on another disk, and a set offsite, so I don't lose anything no matter what.

You can use LR4 and LR5 in parallel, they don't share a library... So why not use the free trial of LR4 for 30 days if LR5 does let you down?

I agree it's silly to buy LR4 full price & then pay for the upgrade to LR5 if you can wait - but you've lived without it this long, can you not hang on until it's finished?

Mark

http://www.markhoodphoto.com/
mahood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by radek42 View Post
...
So my question: is public beta usually robust enough to be used until LR5 release?
...
While Adobe tries to make the public beta quite useable, well stuff happens. So do make sure you have backups of your photos and such, although this should be happening already.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:08 AM   #4
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'm in the market for a raw converter (LR or AP) but I don't want to buy one only to see it replaced by it's successor a couple of months later...

The LR5 beta is only valid until 6/30/2013. What happens after that?

Say the official release is 3 month after 6/30. Then I can't use LR until the release date. Why isn't the beta valid until the official release? Would make more sense to me.
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:33 AM   #5
telecomm
macrumors 65816
 
telecomm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rome
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntwtfrmynwmbp View Post
The LR5 beta is only valid until 6/30/2013. What happens after that?
This beta is only valid until then, and generally one of two things will happen before that date, either
  1. another beta is released before that date, which is likely, as at some point we'll probably see a release candidate (RC) beta, or
  2. The final version is released before that date.

I've started using the beta (I've also got version 4.4), and it's been pretty stable.

Last edited by telecomm; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
telecomm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
chazguernsey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Newegg have a deal on for today!

Just purchased a copy of LR4 from Newegg for $80, which was a good deal from what I can tell.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...2b916a6c6327c5

Chaz
chazguernsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
chazguernsey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Deal Ended

Just checked the link today, and the special deal on LR4 has finished

Chaz
chazguernsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecomm View Post
This beta is only valid until then, and generally one of two things will happen before that date, either
  1. another beta is released before that date, which is likely, as at some point we'll probably get see a release candidate (RC) beta, or
  2. The final version is released before that date.

I've started using the beta (I've also got version 4.4), and it's been pretty stable.
Thanks!
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
radek42
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Thanks for comments. I have finished my 30-day trial couple weeks ago. I'd wish to test Aperture as well, but Apple canceled trial version ... oh, well.

I think I'll just use the LR5-beta until the final release before pulling the trigger. I do have my photos backed up elsewhere, so that should be pretty safe.

Cheers, R>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahood View Post
Disclaimer: I've not downloaded the LR5 beta yet, so I can't comment on it particularly.

I used the LR4 Beta while that was new, and never had a major problem with it, but then I wasn't using it full time - I'm a hobbyist rather than a pro, so it might not be suitable for heavy use. I guess if you're not already using it, you'll probably not be stress-testing it either.

And with any software (but especially beta software) keep backups of your images somewhere safe - if it does have a terrible seizure of some sort, you need to be able to get your images back! I have a copy on another disk, and a set offsite, so I don't lose anything no matter what.

You can use LR4 and LR5 in parallel, they don't share a library... So why not use the free trial of LR4 for 30 days if LR5 does let you down?

I agree it's silly to buy LR4 full price & then pay for the upgrade to LR5 if you can wait - but you've lived without it this long, can you not hang on until it's finished?

Mark

http://www.markhoodphoto.com/


----------

That's good to know. Hopefully, they'll overlap ... hoping for final release sooner rather than later.

R>

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecomm View Post
This beta is only valid until then, and generally one of two things will happen before that date, either
  1. another beta is released before that date, which is likely, as at some point we'll probably get see a release candidate (RC) beta, or
  2. The final version is released before that date.

I've started using the beta (I've also got version 4.4), and it's been pretty stable.
radek42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntwtfrmynwmbp View Post
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'm in the market for a raw converter (LR or AP) but I don't want to buy one only to see it replaced by it's successor a couple of months later...

The LR5 beta is only valid until 6/30/2013. What happens after that?
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radek42 View Post
.... That's good to know. Hopefully, they'll overlap ... hoping for final release sooner rather than later.

R>
In my experience, this Beta (or a another one released to replace this one) will be available until the final version is released. The whole point of the Beta program is to get people using it. Also, it's a way to hook in new users who are enjoying the free Beta.

However.... I have this vague memory that one of the upgrades from Beta to final didn't upgrade the catalogue. Perhaps someone can confirm or correct this statement? Regardless - Adobe very clearly states not to trust your production images to a Beta. Bad things happen with Betas, and it's entirely possible that Adobe can decide not to support moving your images in the Beta catalogue to the released version. You have been warned...

But... personally, I'm not hearing anything to suggest that Adobe has tinkered with the database structures... so I am confident that the upgrade will go smoothly to the released version. Enough so that I'm shooting a job into Lr5b because I wanted to use one of the tools available.

But.. I'm willing to work around any limitations on the catalogue upgrade with these particular images. Other work images are still going into my Lr4 catalogue.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FCP X, LR5 running hot - Air vs. Retina Pro Makamakalay MacBook Pro 2 May 27, 2014 01:44 AM
Distortion correction in LR5 kallisti Digital Photography 10 Jan 9, 2014 06:00 PM
Any point of LR5 if you have PS6 already? robo456 Digital Photography 20 Dec 11, 2013 03:17 PM
What are the conditions required for Photoshop CS6 and LR5 to work on a cloned HD? StressedSnowCat Mac mini 3 Dec 7, 2013 02:12 PM
Can I install the final ML release over the beta release? wreckthisplace OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Jun 27, 2012 11:38 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC