Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
ventuss
macrumors 6502

black and slate looks so prone to scratches

I just opened my new iPad Mini (black), and it is so beautiful and delicate.

How do you protect it when not on your hands? The black finish looks so prone to scratches, is it? I always found hard to scratch the standard iPad, now this one scares me of not being careful enough.

I don't want to use a case, because cases are thick and make the mini looks bigger and heavier, so I was planning on using a Smart Cover + Sleeve.
ventuss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
hexonxonx
Banned

Mine is a month old now, caseless and no scratches. I take it to work with me everyday. Live your life and stop worrying about little things.
hexonxonx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
ventuss
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
Mine is a month old now, caseless and no scratches. I take it to work with me everyday. Live your life and stop worrying about little things.
What I mean is when you need to put it over a desk or let it sit everywhere.

Will it scratch from that?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventuss View Post

It's aluminum. It can dent and scratch.
hexonxonx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5
ventuss
macrumors 6502

I treat my iPad 2 like a paper book and let my nieces use it all day, there is no case and the aluminum don't look bad because scratches are hard to spot, now the iPhone 5 which reminds me the iPad mini finish, the scratches are horribles, light silver.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:31 PM   #6
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:

How do you protect it when not on your hands? The black finish looks so prone to scratches, is it? I always found hard to scratch the standard iPad, now this one scares me of not being careful enough.

I don't want to use a case, because cases are thick and make the mini looks bigger and heavier, so I was planning on using a Smart Cover + Sleeve.
I use a smart cover and an Incase Neoprene Sleeve. Perfect solution to what you want. I carry it around with me and put it down wherever. The smart cover provides me with stand options and extra glass protection. If I want to use the iPad naked, I just pull off the smart cover. I find this setup very versatile and practical as well. Recently I added the Rocketfish hard case from Best Buy. Its basically a thin plastic shell to cover the back for more peace of mind. It all fits nicely in the sleeve too.

Last edited by skiltrip; Jul 3, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
skiltrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
sectime
Banned

Quote:

Look at the demo units at stores they look pretty good.
sectime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
cole01
macrumors 6502

A good suggestion if you don't want to use a case is to invest in a skin for the back of the iPad. I use an iCarbons on my black/slate mini. However, I also have it in a black Speck Candyshell as no skin will protect from drops.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:59 PM   #9
ventuss
macrumors 6502

I my have bigger problems :/

1/3 or maybe 1/4 of my screen is yellow.. The screen is perfect, except for that. Is it true that it may be glue? It is not normal, how can just the botton be yellow?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
maxosx
macrumors 68020

If my Black iPhone 5 had a finish as good as my Black iPad Mini, I'd be satisfied. But there's quite a difference. I carry them both daily so the exposure is almost identical. The iPad remains blemish & scratch free. I can't say the same about the iPhone.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:55 PM   #11
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
1/3 or maybe 1/4 of my screen is yellow.. The screen is perfect, except for that. Is it true that it may be glue? It is not normal, how can just the botton be yellow?
Do you live near an Apple Store? I would take it in to get it checked out. Compare it to the iPad's in the store and if it definitely looks yellow you should get a new one.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:26 AM   #12
madgibbon
macrumors member

Quote:

I had exactly the same problem after three weeks. Take it back and get it swapped out.
madgibbon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:

I'm just using a smart cover around the house, I have not gotten any scratches on my iPad mini yet and I've had it since November. And yes, it's black and slate.

Quote:

Time to get it replaced under warranty.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:49 AM   #14
scottw324
macrumors 6502

I switched from an iPad 3 to the mini and gave my 3 to my wife. I always like a hard shell on the back my iPads, not only to protect them but I find that it improves grip on them.

I am using this one from Amazon for $7 and change. Clear so the back of the mini is visible but gives me the protection I am looking for. I also use a Smart Cover for it as we'll. This shell helps hold the Smart Cover in place and not disconnect by accident. It is cheap enough that if I need to replace it I can without a huge cost. I take the Mini to work each day, watch videos and surf the net at lunch.

poetic ipad mini hard shell - clear
scottw324 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:38 AM   #15
ventuss
macrumors 6502

There is no apple store in brazil other than the website. Got it yesterday and call Apple today. Apple told me to take it to repair. :/
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:19 PM   #16
tremlock
macrumors 6502

I've had mine for about 7 months and have had no issues with scratches. i use it everyday for work in and out of a briefcase. I use a smart cover but no skin on the back.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There is no apple store in brazil other than the website. Got it yesterday and call Apple today. Apple told me to take it to repair. :/
Return it. Send it in as a return, not a warranty problem, then order a new one. If they send you a warranty replacement it'll probably be refurbished. I'm not saying that's bad but I'd still prefer to get a new one.
Jamesesesesess is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 03:17 AM   #18
ventuss
macrumors 6502

I returned it. I sant to order another one, but I'm afraid of getting another bad screen.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Tysknaden
macrumors regular

White is ageing fast - then looking dirty.
Tysknaden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 06:19 AM   #20
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I returned it. I sant to order another one, but I'm afraid of getting another bad screen.
I ordered two minis in the last few weeks. Both are fine. I'd say you have a MUCH greater chance of getting a good screen than you do another bad one. Don't worry about it.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #21
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

My girl has the black Mini and she keeps it in a cheap Amazon case like this without a hole around the logo:

When she's out and about its in one of her bags loose with everything else. There is one slight scratch by the lightning port and a few nicks on the bevel. Everything else looks fine.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:11 PM   #22
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
My girl has the black Mini and she keeps it in a cheap Amazon case like this without a hole around the logo:

When she's out and about its in one of her bags loose with everything else. There is one slight scratch by the lightning port and a few nicks on the bevel. Everything else looks fine.
I have a case like that on my Nexus 7 and love it. I've been thinking of getting one for my Mini also. The one on my Nexus 7 is from Poetic.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #23
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKitty View Post
I have a case like that on my Nexus 7 and love it. I've been thinking of getting one for my Mini also. The one on my Nexus 7 is from Poetic.
I think that's the one she has, she likes it. My only complaint is that i have to keep bending the latch a bit for I to stay firmly closed.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad