Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Closed Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Sgtarky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been more excitement about this on the forum. Seems like adding Plex capability to an aTV3 would be a big deal to a lot of people.

Or is it that we have all gone ahead and converted our discs to mp4 and no longer have a need for Plex?
its a big deal to me , I need to try it to see if it works, I was just about to decommission my atv3 and using my roku, got sick of dealing with iTunes. I was going to start a thread about how I cant put any movies on iTunes, yes I have done it before, I get no errors it just never shows up. anyway If this works screw the itunes crap
Sgtarky is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:53 PM   #27
Sgtarky
macrumors regular

the article is not big into the howto tho, itis as if oh you already know how to do it, like is that plexconnect installed on the at3? if so HOW they just say to run scripts
Sgtarky is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:59 PM   #28
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtarky View Post
the article is not big into the howto tho, itis as if oh you already know how to do it, like is that plexconnect installed on the at3? if so HOW they just say to run scripts
They say it's in the early stage and there will probably be an installer developed later on that will make installation easier. Let's give them some slack so they can spend their time developing the system. If you don't know how to run the scripts at this point, you probably shouldn't be doing it. JMHO
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:35 PM   #29
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtarky View Post
We're still in early development at the moment, however there are instructions on the github wiki.
roidy is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:33 PM   #30
brettO5
macrumors member

Has anyone found an idiots guide (for me) to installing Plex Connect on ATV2 without jailbreak? I'd love to get this working if anyone can help please.

Cheers, Brett
brettO5 is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:34 PM   #31
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettO5 View Post
Has anyone found an idiots guide (for me) to installing Plex Connect on ATV2 without jailbreak? I'd love to get this working if anyone can help please.

Cheers, Brett
Brett the wiki is pretty straight forward and detailed, however give me some info on your setup and I will do my best to see if I can dumb it down some more for ya.
jmcgeejr is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:12 PM   #32
brettO5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
Brett the wiki is pretty straight forward and detailed, however give me some info on your setup and I will do my best to see if I can dumb it down some more for ya.
Thanks mate, that would be fantastic. I've got an ATV2 fully updated and non-jailbroken connect via ethernet to a mac mini which I use an an itunes server. ATV is obviously connected via HDMI to my TV.
Is this what you needed?

Cheers, Brett
brettO5 is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:30 PM   #33
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettO5 View Post
Thanks mate, that would be fantastic. I've got an ATV2 fully updated and non-jailbroken connect via ethernet to a mac mini which I use an an itunes server. ATV is obviously connected via HDMI to my TV.
Is this what you needed?

Cheers, Brett
So you have plex server installed on the mini?
jmcgeejr is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:02 AM   #34
brettO5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
So you have plex server installed on the mini?
Yes, sorry. I do have plex server installed on the mini.
brettO5 is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:01 AM   #35
towg
macrumors regular

I installed it and followed the instructions to the letter but just get 'The Plex Server could not be contacted'.

I have an exception in Windows Firewall too.

Tried it on my macbook also but that didnt work either.
towg is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:25 AM   #36
institute
macrumors regular

Your best bet is to head over to the Plex forum on Plexconnect and troubleshoot there. Make sure you read the sticky on what info to provide when requesting assistance. They are very quick and friendly.
institute is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:47 AM   #37
scapegoat81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been more excitement about this on the forum. Seems like adding Plex capability to an aTV3 would be a big deal to a lot of people.

Or is it that we have all gone ahead and converted our discs to mp4 and no longer have a need for Plex?
Excited as hell. Just waiting for the next gen of iOS hardware to come out & I'm jumping all over this (need a better aspect ratio for AirPlay). Not due for an upgrade til August.
scapegoat81 is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:11 AM   #38
IlikeMacsSoMuch
macrumors Demi-God

Question DRM videos?

Great for Plex, I will certainly try it. But I got a question: I have a lot of movies and TV shows bought on iTunes, if I put them in the Plex library, will they work on the TV? Those videos are registered on my iTunes account, so they are legit. I would just like to find a way to serve them to my TV without having iTunes running. Anyone tried that?

Because we are five at home and each of us has a laptop, plus I also have an iMac which serves as an iTunes server for the TV. So my elder son's laptop can't share the iTunes library. (limit of 5 computers per account). For it doesn't matter since he has a PC but he would like to change it for a Mac and we only use the iMac as a server so it could go or at least not be one the five.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:12 AM   #39
SandboxGeneral

Please continue discussion in our news story thread:

Plex Releases Client for Non-Jailbroken Apple TVs

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater