Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
k2snow
macrumors member

Apple headphones... Apple missed the boat with the headphone market?

Good day.

After shopping and buying nearly $1000 worth of headphones for the holidays, I cannot help but find myself thinking... "Apple has really missed the boat on the headphone market..."

You got BEATS, Bose, Monster, Bower&Wilkins, SOUL, and sooooo many more making a killing in this market. All the while Apple debuts... earpods?

Does anyone else think that Apple has missed the boat on this latest personal music boom?

I loved my Beats. Bulky and a little too loud for those in your surroundings, the Studio Beats are really nice.

I really loved my Bower and Wilkins P5 as well and will probably keep them handy.

I think Apple already has a captive market for these and needs to act quick.
k2snow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

I'm not so sure that it is a case of Apple 'missing the boat' on headphones as much as Apple failing to realise that there may well be a market for well made, attractively designed headphones which deliver an excellent sound experience.

Of course, it could well be a strategic decision, a decision not to clutter up their product range with what they might consider to be extraneous products.

In any case, I have spent several years looking for decent headphones: By 'decent', I mean a pair that is not massive in size, is good looking, is solidly designed, and comfortable, as well as (the whole point of headphones, needless to say) a pair that offers excellent sound quality.

Eventually, this year, I alighted on the B&W P3s and the B&W P5s, both of which I have found to be excellent, comfortable and stylish headphones.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
towg
macrumors regular

I've wondered why Apple havent decided to branch into headphones as the market is largely taken up by youngsters 'hipster' brands that rely a lot on aesthetics rather than performance. And Apple excel at stylish and modernistic design. (Of course thats not to say they cant perform too).

I had the P5s and sold them as I preferred my Sen HD595s. The P5s are overpriced and i was glad to be rid of them as the frequency range was way too flat and uninvolving. They tended to hurt my ears after half an hours use too.
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
xMClass
macrumors 6502

I quite like my earpods. I don't understand all the hate towards them. Have you actually tried them? They're probably one of the most comfortable in-ear headphones I've ever used. Sure, the sound quality could be better, but for the price, you can't expect $100+ sound quality out of some plastic headphones that cost $29. Apple's old earphones were junk. And so were those $80 in-ear dual driver headphones too. But the earpods are actually something decent.
xMClass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I'm going on another pair of EarPods, this will be my 4th pair. They all end up the same way, the sound muffled/gets very low. They sound great and feel great, but they get destroyed too easily.

I prefer my Sennheiser headphones, but they look ridiculous on an iPod Nano.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Apple is been telling you, "We concentrate on a few products, and do them well."

Everybody thinks they got a Slick-50 that can make their car run better than the people who designed it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
TMRaven
macrumors 68020

I don't think Apple wants to enter such an embarrassing facet of the market. All these fashionable full-sized portable headphones, you see people wearing around their neck 9 times out of 10 and actually on their ears 1/10. Whenever they do have them on their ears, there's no music playing.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:17 AM   #8
WilliamDu
macrumors member

Apple EarPod Killer

Save your money and fussing about Apple/Senn EarPods.
After spending a bundle on various makes, I found these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$7.70 and superb, tiny in ear sound with great reliability.
If you're concerned about reliability, a 4 pack will cost you $25.
Rugged and include 3 sizes of ear plugs.
After a year, still going strong.
Sound as good as Sony MDR V series for 1/10th the price.
WilliamDu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Praxis91
macrumors member

If you want good headphones, avoid Beats like a plague. You can't go wrong with Klipsch, mid-higher end Sennheisers, or my personal favorite (very $$$) AKG.

For earbuds, I love my Klipsch X10s.

Xbox Live gamer tag: tehPraXis
Praxis91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:08 PM   #10
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2snow View Post
Good day.

After shopping and buying nearly $1000 worth of headphones for the holidays, I cannot help but find myself thinking... "Apple has really missed the boat on the headphone market..."

You got BEATS, Bose, Monster, Bower&Wilkins, SOUL, and sooooo many more making a killing in this market. All the while Apple debuts... earpods?

Does anyone else think that Apple has missed the boat on this latest personal music boom?

I loved my Beats. Bulky and a little too loud for those in your surroundings, the Studio Beats are really nice.

I really loved my Bower and Wilkins P5 as well and will probably keep them handy.

I think Apple already has a captive market for these and needs to act quick.
Closed headphones are overrated. The only headphones I have heard so far that beat IEM's are open headphones (non-portable headphones on expensive DAC & AMP's).

In my opinion, IEM's are the future for portable audio. If Apple fixes the comfort and isolation issues, Apple is going in the right direction. I don't see why Apple went for EarPods over IEM's.

This is my opinion ofcourse.
UBS28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
Closed headphones are overrated. The only headphones I have heard so far that beat IEM's are open headphones (non-portable headphones on expensive DAC & AMP's).

In my opinion, IEM's are the future for portable audio. If Apple fixes the comfort and isolation issues, Apple is going in the right direction. I don't see why Apple went for EarPods over IEM's.

This is my opinion ofcourse.
Yes, but the problem here is that for some people, firstly in-ear headphones are not terribly comfortable, - in fact, some are downright uncomfortable - and secondly, many of them do not deliver a good quality of audio output, especially the less expensive ones.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:43 PM   #12
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Yes, but the problem here is that for some people, firstly in-ear headphones are not terribly comfortable, - in fact, some are downright uncomfortable - and secondly, many of them do not deliver a good quality of audio output, especially the less expensive ones.
IEM's like the Shure SE535 are more comfortable for me than headphones like the B&W P7 and Sennheiser Momentus while providing better sound quality also.

As a reference, the Sennheiser HD800 sounds clear, fast and accurate just like my IEM's which is what I am missing in closed headphones such as the B&W P7 and Sennhesier Momentus.

Last edited by UBS28; Jul 29, 2014 at 02:14 PM.
UBS28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:33 PM   #13
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis91 View Post
If you want good headphones, avoid Beats like a plague. You can't go wrong with Klipsch, mid-higher end Sennheisers, or my personal favorite (very $$$) AKG.

For earbuds, I love my Klipsch X10s.
AKG earbuds are crap. EarPods are ear-buds. Good earbuds are hard to find.
X10s are in-ears

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneRev...vs_In-Ears.jpg
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Praxis91
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post
AKG earbuds are crap. EarPods are ear-buds. Good earbuds are hard to find.
X10s are in-ears

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneRev...vs_In-Ears.jpg
I always called in-ear as earbuds and everything else as just headphones.

Anyway, the x10s are awesome and some of the best headphones on the planet are AKG 702, 712. With AKG, I know nothing about their ear buds, but I was referring to their "cans."

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-...ds=akg+712+pro

Praxis91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:50 PM   #15
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I always called in-ear as earbuds and everything else as just headphones.

Anyway, the x10s are awesome and some of the best headphones on the planet are AKG 702, 712. With AKG, I know nothing about their ear buds, but I was referring to their "cans."

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-...ds=akg+712+pro
Ah!
In-ears, earbuds, on-ears, over-ears. >> roughly.

I own K702, K272HD, K450 - love them all, my SO owns k701. Big fan. But I bought AKG K318 and while they sounded decent, they were the most uncomfortable earbuds I ever used.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Praxis91
macrumors member

Quote:
Ah!
In-ears, earbuds, on-ears, over-ears. >> roughly.

I own K702, K272HD, K450 - love them all, my SO owns k701. Big fan. But I bought AKG K318 and while they sounded decent, they were the most uncomfortable earbuds I ever used.
Which one is SO? I'm always looking to try new toys!

Old Aug 1, 2014, 05:10 AM   #17
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Which one is SO? I'm always looking to try new toys!
my SO : significant other, or, girlfriend
Old Aug 1, 2014, 02:54 PM   #18
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020

I don't think Apple missed anything. The market is saturated with manufacturers. Leave Apple doing the things it's good at.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:25 PM   #19
Uofmtiger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vElectronics View Post
I don't think Apple missed anything. The market is saturated with manufacturers. Leave Apple doing the things it's good at.
Since they now own Beats and Beats sells the largest percentage of premium priced headphones, they went into the business at the top of the market.

Personally, I own several premium headphones and I don't own Beats, so this isn't an endorsement of SQ.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Praxis91
macrumors member

Quote:
my SO : significant other, or, girlfriend
Ah, ok. I thought SO was an abbreviation for a brand.

Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:03 PM   #21
rei101
macrumors 6502a

All I know is that to use the Apple headphones I have to keep going to radioshack to get the little black cushions because otherwise they keep falling from my ears.

Last edited by rei101; Aug 6, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio