Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
So, in about 4 hours I'm going to possibly purchase this lens.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pho/3499283088.html

My only concern is why he is selling so cheap? Is there a way I can check if its grey market or anything like that? This would be my first L lens so not sure what to look for/expect. I'll be taking my T2i, and laptop along to try it before handing over my cash.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Seems like a pretty decent discount over retail, but not a ton under what seems to be asking price on eBay for the lens. My guess is that he really just wants it sold fast and doesn't want to wait around for the right buyer looking to save $50-$100 on some L glass. Could be that's about how short he is for the 24-70 that he's looking to buy. Since it was the "kit" lens with the 5D Mark II, he essentially got it at a good discount, so he'll probably still make a decent profit on it.

Either way, I think as long as you take your camera and laptop and he lets you play with it for a few minutes to make sure you're happy with it prior to payment, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

And of course all of the usual precautions when dealing with large cash transactions from Craigslist should apply.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I believe that's the average price, slightly undercut to help sell it quickly. The difference between the body only for 5D Mark II and the 24-105 kit is $600, and that's what the seller probably based his prices on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.