Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
The only way this might sell is that it's small and has a xenon flash. No one cares about megapixels.

Not for snapshots that you'd be likely taking with your cell phone. But if you want to make a large-sized print, then yes, you might. However, those professional types would use professional equipment, not a phone. So I generally agree.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
This is the real competition for Will - http://www.blackda.com/black-cs-leicai9.html

cs001.jpg

If that is ever made he will be lost in the dust. The Leica lens and body will make all the difference.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Dr.Dre and William making headphones is the biggest BS I have come across.

They are musicians and thats about it.

Headphones are designed by engineers, acoustic experts and the like.

They are just milking their popularity with supposedly *making* them.

I can only imagine how they *make* them.

Engineer presents them with a prototype and then these guys say.."Ummm the bass could be a little richer. Please come back with the mod'

They get the next version and say.."Great this sounds good. Now slap my name on those ear buds".

Yeah Right. Making headphones my %#%#$&.

Will never touch those headphones!

Well somebody has to put the money up to have a product manufactured. Yeah, I think it is pretty safe to assume that Dre isn't the engineer, but you know it takes more than engineer to "make" a product happen? An engineer can build headphones, but they might sound like garbage or marketed poorly and nobody would buy them. I am sure Dre has enough experience with using speakers and headphones to qualify him as more than a novice in the field anyways. Not sure about William and cameras however.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Well somebody has to put the money up to have a product manufactured. Yeah, I think it is pretty safe to assume that Dre isn't the engineer, but you know it takes more than engineer to "make" a product happen? An engineer can build headphones, but they might sound like garbage or marketed poorly and nobody would buy them. I am sure Dre has enough experience with using speakers and headphones to qualify him as more than a novice in the field anyways. Not sure about William and cameras however.

No, DRE is just used as a sales technique. He has nothing to do with its quality, which is poor IMO anyway.

ridesdeepsnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Lake Tahoe, CA
boost?

if this works via lighting connection then it really is not a "boost" now is it.

a boost would be something that upgrades the already existing hardware or software, correct?

this is a complete separate piece of equipment docking with the phone via lighting connection.

"hey, we got a camera that will attach to your phone that is a better camera" not a boost

and how does a singer like Will.i.am have anything to do with phone photography, almost as stupid as ashton kutcher and those ridiculous Nikon commercials

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I haven't heard anyone complaining that the iPhone needs more megapixels... seems 100% useless.

I've never heard of anyone complaining that Apple needed to make a phone with touchscreen and iPod. But they did, and how did that turn out? :p. Lots of thing Apple, and anyone else makes or improves on, are things nobody asks for and only realize they need when it comes out.

Did I need an iPhone 5 when I had the 4s? Nope. But it came out and I got it, can I ever go back to the 4s? Nope.

You think beats are good? The only look good around your neck. The engineer sucks, but the marketer is a genius.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
No, DRE is just used as a sales technique. He has nothing to do with its quality, which is poor IMO anyway.

No to what? I know that Dre is behind the marketing.

An engineer can build headphones, but they might sound like garbage or marketed poorly and nobody would buy them.

I am also sure Dre probably gets to try them out and give his opinion before they go on the market.

I don't have Beats headphones and I have never tried them out. I like my Sony's just fine.

----------

This is the real competition for Will - http://www.blackda.com/black-cs-leicai9.html

If that is ever made he will be lost in the dust. The Leica lens and body will make all the difference.

That is a good idea, but the problem is that phone design continually changes, so you are stuck with using the whatever phone fits in the camera. I see that was for the iPhone 4.

Catacang

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Portugal
14 Megapixel is not very impressive considering there's already a phone with a built-in 41 Megapixel camera, the Nokia 808 PureView. To be worth carrying an extra accessory with the iPhone, it should be one with a really crazy sensor like that...

jrko

macrumors regular
'Let me just make a phone call.....oh darn it I wasted all my battery power taking stupid pictures on my new camera attachment'

'O wow I must take a picture of that......oh darn it, no space. I only got the 16gb version and I have 200 albums on it already'

'They wont believe me when I show them this.....oh darn in, where is the camera attachment. Ah there it is.......oh the show is over'

'Hey I just got this cool camera attachment, its green, orange, blue and neon pink!! The lenses are only $$$.$$......oh darn it I thought they'd be $$.$$'

If you want a better camera, buy one. Don't hobble both your phone and the the camera by shackling them together.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
14 Megapixel is not very impressive considering there's already a phone with a built-in 41 Megapixel camera, the Nokia 808 PureView. To be worth carrying an extra accessory with the iPhone, it should be one with a really crazy sensor like that...

41MP in a phone is ridiculous. I guarantee you that my 22MP Canon 5D III looks 100x better than anything shot on that phone.

Nokia is selling buzzwords... but they certainly aren't telling you the facts about how real photography works. The dumbing down of society on photography is astounding. People snap off Instagram photos, and because it has some color post-processing along with borders, etc.... everyone assumes it's equal, or nearly equal to the quality of shooting on a DSLR.

People need to get educated. There is a lot more to photography than megapixels and color treatments.

Stormchild69

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2005
Hertford, UK
41MP in a phone is ridiculous. I guarantee you that my 22MP Canon 5D III looks 100x better than anything shot on that phone.

Nokia is selling buzzwords... but they certainly aren't telling you the facts about how real photography works. The dumbing down of society on photography is astounding. People snap off Instagram photos, and because it has some color post-processing along with borders, etc.... everyone assumes it's equal, or nearly equal to the quality of shooting on a DSLR.

People need to get educated. There is a lot more to photography than megapixels and color treatments.

Had to log in to say that I totallly agree with your opinion.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
To everyone laying into Will.i.am and questioning his integrity...Here's a couple of facts:

After appearing as a judge in "The Voice", a UK talent contest, he donated £500,000 to The Prince's Trust which is a charity dedicated to helping young people get into jobs and careers, start up their own businesses and develop themselves.

Before that in the US, he helped raise seven million dollars to set up a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math(s)) center in Los Angeles. This was his own initiative....It seems that he's quite the technology maven and wants to push things along in more than just one area of the technological revolution. From that point of view, getting involved with this camera project makes sense.

By all accounts, it seems he's a stand up guy. People criticizing him and questioning his motives should ask themselves what they've done to make things better.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010

It's not ridiculous, you just don't understand it. In this case, 41MP are better. Not as good as your 5D that I assume you wander around with stuck on P, but if you took a while to educate yourself on the Nokia and how it uses the 41MP, you realise that the amount of MP is not ridiculous.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
It's not ridiculous, you just don't understand it. In this case, 41MP are better. Not as good as your 5D that I assume you wander around with stuck on P, but if you took a while to educate yourself on the Nokia and how it uses the 41MP, you realise that the amount of MP is not ridiculous.

LOL.... I've never had my camera on 'P'... rofl... I roll manual.

I've seen the images off of the Nokia... and they aren't impressive... at all.

----------

I might suggest you take some courses on photography..... megapixels are only one aspect of photography.

The color depth and clarity on the Nokia is abysmal.

----------

I guess I should amend this:

"I've seen the images off of the Nokia... and they aren't impressive... at all."

To this:

"I've seen the images off of the Nokia... and they aren't impressive.... at all. Unless you are only comparing camera phones to camera phones. I'd put my ancient 10MP 40D up against this Nokia and it would blow it away."

Catacang

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Portugal
"I've seen the images off of the Nokia... and they aren't impressive.... at all. Unless you are only comparing camera phones to camera phones. I'd put my ancient 10MP 40D up against this Nokia and it would blow it away."

I believe the Nokia should be compared to other cameraphones and accessories like this will.i.am and not to dedicated cameras. If the state of the art of camera phones is a 41 MP sensor with Carl Zeiss lens and a xenon flash as we can see in the Nokia, this will.i.am camera should at least be equal (or better) to be worth buying, otherwise it's just a small improvement over the iPhone built-in one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.