Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tictaktwonk101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Hi everyone.

What would be the minimum spec imac that would run FCPX or motion 5 with out any issues looking to get one but I don't have a load of money so I need to make the right choice.

At this time I have a 13" Mbp 2010 which runs it but it does struggle when I add multiple effects. Also motion 5 is a real struggle.

Any good input would really help.

Also what BTO options would have the most effect CPU, gpu or ram would a fusion drive be something to think or would it be pointless?

Sorry about all the questions.:confused:

Last edited:

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Hi everyone.

What would be the minimum spec imac that would run FCPX or motion 5 with out any issues looking to get one but I don't have a load of money so I need to make the right choice.

At this time I have a 13" Mbp 2010 which runs it but it does struggle when I add multiple effects. Also motion 5 is a real struggle.

Any good input would really help.

Also what BTO options would have the most effect CPU, gpu or ram would a fusion drive be something to think or would it be pointless?

Sorry about all the questions.:confused:

In my opinion the gpu is a big part as it allows smooth play back and so does the cpu if its a i7 has it has hyper threading which allows 2 things to be ran on 1 core so a quad core is basically a virtual 8 core machine the fusion drive is pointless to me as it costs alot more when you can always use the thunderbolt to attach a external flash drive making that pretty fast. and the ram is kinda a big deal but for rendering not much else but if i was you cpu and gpu avoid macbook pros if you can stay in one place purchase a imac. But if you really need to move around buy one.

tictaktwonk101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
What about ram would 16g in a 21" be enough or would being able to upgrade to 32g in a 27" be better?

blendermf

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Stratford, ON
What about ram would 16g in a 21" be enough or would being able to upgrade to 32g in a 27" be better?

16 GB is enough at least in my experience. More RAM never hurts though, but you'll be paying the extra price of upgrading to a 27", and whatever it costs for the ram (if you do that, buy it externally, because it's way cheaper)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.