Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm not the most OCD person about my iPhone. I do have a case on it, it's not an otterbox but it does the job well enough without making it bulky. The thing is, where would you put a case on a phone with a screen on both sides? The answer is that you couldn't....could you imagine how many phones would just be destroyed in one drop or at least scratched consistantly?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think it is horrible idea. It increases the cost, size and chance of breaking something while decreasing the battery life. I'll pass.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
Actually might be a good idea. Could be surfin the net on one side, texting on the other. Or playing a game on one, side, texting on the other, and so on. Could see this coming to an android first. Will the consumer go for it? Don't know but usually somebody like HTC will try it.

Or u could just blow your brains out before its released lol

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Right because the original iPhone had less bells and whistles than all the other smartphones at the time.

Yeah that Nokia N95 was sporting a capacitive touch screen and full mobile browser, yet the iphone came along with a more simplified WAP browser :rolleyes:

Nothing was added to the original iPhone that didn't need to be. In fact, other than a couple tweaks here and there with the design - nothing has been added on to it at all. Adding a two screened smartphone is over-kill. You really ought to look into Jony Ive's approach towards simplicity and his method of integrating into his product designs to develop a better understanding of Apple's philosophy towards intuitive industrial design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6ULOT9Q4M

S

syd430

Nothing was added to the original iPhone that didn't need to be. In fact, other than a couple tweaks here and there with the design - nothing has been added on to it at all. Adding a two screened smartphone is over-kill. You really ought to look into Jony Ive's approach towards simplicity and his method of integrating into his product designs to develop a better understanding of Apple's philosophy towards intuitive industrial design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6ULOT9Q4M

Thanks. I understand Apple's minimalist and common sense/intuitive design philosophies and their tendencies to include technologies that they view as useful, while leaving others out. I was just pointing out that "more bells and whistles" and useful/functional design are not mutually exclusive as your post seemed to apply.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I remember that on the old flip phones was kinda cool at the time, would be a waste on a bar form factor though.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Right because the original iPhone had less bells and whistles than all the other smartphones at the time.

Ironically, it did come with less than other smartphones of the time. No MMS, no videocam, no GPS, no 3G, no third party apps.

(Like others, I was using a WinMo touch phone at the time with Google Maps, tap-to-zoom Picsel browser, Slingplayer for remote TV viewing, etc.)

But that's a different discussion.

I think it is horrible idea. It increases the cost, size and chance of breaking something while decreasing the battery life. I'll pass.

Of course, most of those happened with the slim iPhone 4 glass back as well. (Cost more, took up battery space; more breakable.) Didn't stop buyers :)

An e-Ink second screen would actually increase battery life for a lot of users.

Sorry. Just being the devil's advocate today.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
This would give me twice the chance to shatter my screen when I bump into the corner of my desk.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As luck would have it, a Russian company called Yota plans to bring out a dual screen phone next year:

Color on one side, e-Ink on the other, just as we talked about here.

WSJ article on dual screen phone

MK-BZ398_RUSPHO_DV_20121211182026.jpg

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
seems like this back screen is getting more and more traction? There was that case that had a back e-ink screen and now the yota one with the built in e-ink screen. hmmm i wonder how practical this is?? Would you use the e-ink just for reading?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
seems like this back screen is getting more and more traction? There was that case that had a back e-ink screen and now the yota one with the built in e-ink screen. hmmm i wonder how practical this is?? Would you use the e-ink just for reading?

It would be used for notifications when the phone is in standby, boarding passes, coupons, news reading, etc. It would be there always without draining the battery to power a regular screen. The book reading thing for it would be huge because reading on light emitting screens for prolonged periods really sucks due to eye strain and glare from sunlight. I really hope the Galaxy Note 3 will have an e-ink screen on the back. Surprise me, Samsung!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.