Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I'm finally ready to buy a mini. I've bought from apple's refurb section in the past and always been very pleased. With added tax by apple I'm not sure if maybe i should just get a new one.

when available again, apple will sell refurb 2012 mini i5 for about $545 with tax. The mini is also available for sale at $588 at 2 other retailers who offer free shipping and no tax.

should I buy the refurb or a new one for about $45 more?

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I spent the $45 more. I originally had bought a refurb, had it sent to the store, and then cancelled the order. Later, I decided to look again and when I compared it, decided to just spend the little extra.

I think it's really 6 one way, half a dozen the other. You can make equally valid arguments either way, and be happy/unhappy either way.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Last edited:

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I purchased mine from B&H and it was brand new just like coming from Apple. They are an authorized Apple Resaler. I have purchased a bunch of stuff from them and have been in their store in New York. It is a big time operation.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
One more thing, when I purchased mine they gave me applecare for half price and I think it was about $58. Why would you even consider a refurbished when you an get it at this price.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
How fast is the shipping if you select standard shipping ?

Shipping to New York ?

How many days did it take for you to get the mini ?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
How fast is the shipping if you select standard shipping ?

Shipping to New York ?

How many days did it take for you to get the mini ?

they are in new york so new york is the worst place to ship it to as they will charge you 8.75% sales tax. from NY to NJ no sales tax. 1 day to ship it to NJ.. They are orthodox Jews so they close from Friday night to Saturday night.

If you order it today Sun. and you are in New York it will come no later then Tues. but if I were you find a NJ friend to buy it. you would save the sales tax.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Another thing it says I can get apple care for $52

When I try clicking on it to see more info nothing happens

Is it worth getting the apple care for the Mac mini? And how many years do I get for $52 ?

My total comes to $616 with the apple care

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Another thing it says I can get apple care for $52

When I try clicking on it to see more info nothing happens

Is it worth getting the apple care for the Mac mini? And how many years do I get for $52 ?

My total comes to $616 with the apple care

Applecare adds two years on top of the standard one. It is essentially an insurance policy and I suppose only you can decide if it is worth the expense vs. potential benefit. I'm not particularly a fan of "extended warranties" like this, but many users here like it and it has paid off for them.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
So lets say 2 years from now my Mac mini doesn't turn on when I hit the power button, if I bring the mini to an apple store they will fix it for free if I have AppleCare ?

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I've never had a mac fail in the 3 years after buying it. Applecare has seemed less than helpful as a result.

On the flip side, I recently turned to making refurb purchases lately and I've been very happy with apple refurbs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.