Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a
 
Woodcrest64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
iOS 7 vs iOS 6: RAM usage

I'm wondering if anyone here knows how much ram iOS 7 uses compared to iOS 6. I'm asking because if it's a lot more than iOS6 then there is a chance that Apple might give the iPhone 5s more than 1GB of memory. Just curious.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina | iPad 1 | iPhone 5 32GB | Apple TV 3rd Gen | HTC One | Nexus 7 32GB 2nd Gen
Woodcrest64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Runt888
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Works well on my 4S, so RAM obviously isn't a limiting factor in any way.
Runt888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
rrares1996
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here knows how much ram iOS 7 uses compared to iOS 6. I'm asking because if it's a lot more than iOS6 then there is a chance that Apple might give the iPhone 5s more than 1GB of memory. Just curious.
On ipad 3 I used Battery doctor from app store and on ios 6.1.3 my ipad had 600 mb ram free but on ios 7 it had 200 mb free
rrares1996 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrares1996 View Post
On ipad 3 I used Battery doctor from app store and on ios 6.1.3 my ipad had 600 mb ram free but on ios 7 it had 200 mb free
There are so many factors that lead up to how much RAM is free.

On my iPad 2, I have about 250MB free on iOS 7 immediately after a reboot. On iOS 6.1.3 I had roughly 325MB.

On my iPhone 5, I typically have 600MB free on iOS 7 after a reboot, and was about the same on iOS 6.1.4.
__________________
iMac 21.5", 2.7 i5 Quad, 8GB, 1TB; 11" MBA 1.7 i5, 4GB, 64GB; Black 64GB 3G iPad 2; Space Grey 32GB iPhone 5S; Red 8GB iPod Nano 5G, and ATV 3
Mlrollin91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #5
rrares1996
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Yes but booth versions of ios were clean, I killed all apps in multitasking and I also hard reseted booth.
rrares1996 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Armen
macrumors 68030
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here knows how much ram iOS 7 uses compared to iOS 6. I'm asking because if it's a lot more than iOS6 then there is a chance that Apple might give the iPhone 5s more than 1GB of memory. Just curious.
When Apple announces what devices will get the iOS 7 update the hardware specs are taken into consideration so don't worry about Ram.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB Black (A1429); Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 8GB, 500GB; iPad Mini, 1st Gen Apple TV
Armen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:32 PM   #7
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
When Apple announces what devices will get the iOS 7 update the hardware specs are taken into consideration so don't worry about Ram.
Tell that to iPhone 3G owners when iOS 5 came out.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
When Apple announces what devices will get the iOS 7 update the hardware specs are taken into consideration so don't worry about Ram.
Tell that to iPhone 3G, iPad 1, and 4th gen touch owners.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.3)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 6.1.2)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Tell that to iPhone 3G, iPad 1, and 4th gen touch owners.
They aren't getting the update, nor did most of them even get the last version...so seems like hardware was actually taken into consideration and accounted for.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:49 PM   #10
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
They aren't getting the update, nor did most of them even get the last version...so seems like hardware was actually taken into consideration and accounted for.
Which is why iOS4 on the 3G, iOS 5 on the iPad and iOS 6 on the 4th gen touch all made them essentially unusable.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.3)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 6.1.2)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:57 PM   #11
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Which is why iOS4 on the 3G, iOS 5 on the iPad and iOS 6 on the 4th gen touch all made them essentially unusable.
That's somewhat of a generalization at best. I've been using iOS 5 on iPad for years now without any issues (at least no more than I've had with iOS 4, for example). I also personally know people with 3 GS phones that have been using iOS 6 on them since it came out and have been just fine with it (and in some sense even better than with iOS 5).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Armen
macrumors 68030
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
That's somewhat of a generalization at best. I've been using iOS 5 on iPad for years now without any issues (at least no more than I've had with iOS 4, for example). I also personally know people with 3 GS phones that have been using iOS 6 on them since it came out and have been just fine with it (and in some sense even better than with iOS 5).
My mom's iphone 3GS also runs iOS 6 just fine.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB Black (A1429); Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 8GB, 500GB; iPad Mini, 1st Gen Apple TV
Armen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:08 AM   #13
bumblebritches5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Tell that to iPhone 3G, iPad 1, and 4th gen touch owners.
I had a 4th gen touch (got a 5th gen this time last year) and even on iOS 6, it was slow as ****.
bumblebritches5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restoring iOS 7 Backup on iOS 6 Device (and Downgrading iOS 7 to iOS 6) ScForstall iOS 7 45 Jul 19, 2014 01:01 AM
iOS 7 Usage Times thedeejay iOS 7 7 Sep 30, 2013 03:51 AM
Signs of Apple's Work on iOS 7.0.1, iOS 7.0.2, iOS 7.1, and iOS 8 Showing Up in Web Logs MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 131 Sep 20, 2013 04:00 PM
iPhone: iOS 7 usage question NickyLanzz iOS 7 3 Jun 21, 2013 11:12 AM
iOS 7 Beta Usage iPhonemaster5S iOS 7 6 Jun 20, 2013 04:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC