Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFluffums

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Hello
I have all of my photos saved in iPhoto, and want to put them all into lightroom without making duplicates. (Lightroom will become my main photo editing program now.). How do I go about moving them?

Thanks!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Hello
I have all of my photos saved in iPhoto, and want to put them all into lightroom without making duplicates. (Lightroom will become my main photo editing program now.). How do I go about moving them?

Thanks!

You should read the Lightroom instructions. Everything is detailed there.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Hello

Thanks!

The best and simplest procedure for this I ever found was on the Apple Support Communities Forum.

It says:
For those that are looking at this and couldn't find an answer try this:

- Go to your ~/Pictures folder
- Right-click (Ctrl-Click) on the iPhoto Library icon and choose Show Package Contents
- Scroll down to the Originals folder
- Right-click (Ctrl-Click) on the Originals folder and choose Make Alias
- Name it something (e.g. iPhoto Photo Link)
- Move this alias to your ~/Pictures folder
- Now go back to Lightroom in the Import screen, navigate to where you put that alias (e.g. ~/Pictures/iPhoto Photo Link)

You should now be able to import all of your iPhoto photos to Lightroom. Note this will not preserve events or any other iPhoto features, but it will allow you to see all of your photos in Lightroom without having to Export from iPhoto (which requires making a copy of every photo).

JK

Hope that helps you somewhat.

----------

You should read the Lightroom instructions. Everything is detailed there.

You are such a blessing to this community, where would we ever be without your selfless assistance and infinite wisdom.

I love the feedback you get on your Visitor Page. It's reassuring to know we are not the only section of this community that benefits from your presence here.

LBC47

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
The best and simplest procedure for this I ever found was on the Apple Support Communities Forum.

It says:

Hope that helps you somewhat.

----------

You are such a blessing to this community, where would we ever be without your selfless assistance and infinite wisdom.

I love the feedback you get on your Visitor Page. It's reassuring to know we are not the only section of this community that benefits from your presence here.

Thanks, seriously. This helped me out.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
To import photos from iPhoto into Lightroom, first you have to help Lightroom find the original photos, which are hidden in a package file. Then, you can copy or add the photos to a Lightroom catalog just like you would import any other photos from a folder on your computer.

Adobe was asleep with this first paragraph. In iPhoto, just like Aperture, you have two different choices for storing the original/master files. You can either put them into folders/subfolders in the file system (a referenced library) or, you can have iPhoto put them inside the iPhoto database files (a managed library). LR for example only does a referenced library.

If using iPhoto or Aperture, use a referenced library! It gives two advantages: it allows the original/masters to be on an large external drive and not take up spaces on an internal drive (especially expensive SSD real estate), it allows the referenced original/master files to be referenced by more than one application. My 56,000+ original/master raw files are referenced by both Aperture and LR. I don't to choose Aperture or LR; I use both with same master files.

I suggest you wait for WWDC on June 2 to see if Apple releases a new 4K capable Aperture. If so, you may want to go from iPhoto to Aperture. In the meantime, move to a referenced iPhoto library if you were using a managed one. Then you are ready to migrate to Aperture or LR....depending on the news from Apple and Adobe.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1143828/referenced_library.html
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6361
http://scanyourentirelife.com/iphoto-imported-photos-iphoto-library-managed-referenced/

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Higher resolution image viewing for stills, 4k video, and stills extracted from 4k video.

This is for nMP, late 2013 rMBP, and future Macs.

Last edited:

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Surely the resolution viewable is dependent on the device your using - so if you have a 4K screen now then Aperture should be able to automatically cope with it?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you have a 4K screen now....how are you using it unless you have downloaded the 10.9.3 beta ( I have) that supports 4K at 60Hz? 4K at 30Hz would not be nice. Anyone can sign up a the AppleSeed program and get the 10.9.3 beta.

I think we will see Apple soon release 10.9.3 for 4K @60Hz for nMP and 2013 rMBPs. It remains to be seen what Apple will say about a 4K iMac or a 4K ATD refresh.

With 4K @60Hz and TB2 transport bandwidth available, at least for some Macs, the stage is set for Apple to release 4K supporting versions of its professional line of apps, including Aperture.

IMHO for Aperture, it is now (at WWDC) or never ( the last fans will finally give up). We will know if a few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.