Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #76
f64
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagandale4114 View Post
Scroll to the bottom. No word on pricing though.
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
Thanks! Hopefully pricing will be up within the next 10 days.
f64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:52 AM   #77
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyenet View Post
I just bought 32GB (4x8GB) from Crucial for 111.58

Can't wait for a new iMac to put it in :-)
How could you be sure that it was the right RAM when the iMacs haven't even gone on sale yet?
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:18 AM   #78
aidacra
macrumors newbie

Also ordered 32GB at Crucial for my specced out 27"!
aidacra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:17 AM   #79
Scrapula
macrumors 6502

If I get the 27", it will be the $1,999 model without any BTO. I can add RAM later on, but the 8MB that it comes with is enough for now. The GTX 675MX will be fast enough for any games that I want to play.

The remaining area is hard drive. I never turn off my computer, so boot time of the OS does not matter to me. I read an article in Computerworld comparing SSD, hybrid drive, and a traditional HDD. They used a Macbook Pro to conduct the tests. The SSD could open Microsoft Word in 2 seconds, but it still took 57 seconds total to load the 327 page document. In Word, you can't access the document until it is done loading. So, what's the point of the quick application loading time? The HDD took longer open up Word (10 seconds). By the third time, opening the document was faster than the SSD because it was in cache at that point. A 10MB Power Point document took 2 seconds on all three of the drives. I can't see spending the extra money.

Lifespan of a SSD may be 10 years vs 5-6 for a HDD but I rarely keep a computer longer than 3 years, anyway.

I can see going with SSD in a laptop that gets jostled around. If I was buying a laptop then I would go with the SSD. Sitting on my desk? Standard HDD is fine.
Scrapula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:25 AM   #80
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidacra View Post
Also ordered 32GB at Crucial for my specced out 27"!
Ok.this may sound stupid..but if you get the BTO with 8GB

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots

don't you just buy enough to make it a total of 32. so it would be purchasing 24??

but you guys are purchasing 32...what am I missing.
(sorry...all new to me!)
bgsnmky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:27 AM   #81
medi.freak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
Ok.this may sound stupid..but if you get the BTO with 8GB

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots

don't you just buy enough to make it a total of 32. so it would be purchasing 24??

but you guys are purchasing 32...what am I missing.
(sorry...all new to me!)
you'd have to find 12GB sticks then.... It is just easier to buy 4 8GB ones....
8Gb iPod Nano 3G
medi.freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:04 PM   #82
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by medi.freak View Post
you'd have to find 12GB sticks then.... It is just easier to buy 4 8GB ones....
and then you just put them all in....would you replace the 8 that it comes with
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:21 PM   #83
medi.freak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
and then you just put them all in....would you replace the 8 that it comes with
the iMac has 4 slots for RAM

it comes standard with 2x4 gb RAM, right?

so, your options are:

buy 2x8Gb Ram and get 24Gb (together with the 2x4 that it comes with)

or

buy 4x8Gb RAM and get 32Gb (and ditch the 2x4Gb it came with)
8Gb iPod Nano 3G
medi.freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 PM   #84
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by medi.freak View Post
the iMac has 4 slots for RAM

it comes standard with 2x4 gb RAM, right?

so, your options are:

buy 2x8Gb Ram and get 24Gb (together with the 2x4 that it comes with)

or

buy 4x8Gb RAM and get 32Gb (and ditch the 2x4Gb it came with)
PERFECT..thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:30 PM   #85
swordsmn
macrumors newbie

I have to admit I'm just like this person below... I probably don't need half of what I spec, but I'm enough of a geek to "WANT the power" if you will and on tech, I hate to compromise.

That's why, as a recent convert to Mac fanboyism, I'm turning in my fanboi card due to their crazy option sets (so I hear) that will be avail on the small & large IMAC. (I'm really in market for the 32Gig capable 27" but it's sad how limited the 21.5" is wrt ordering options

After wife/daughter's use of 2011 MBA's I love SSD's wife has 128 daughter has 256

I WAS looking at a rMBP where I was gonna buy 16gig/512G

but """C'Mon Man""" 768G SSD is the ONLY true SSD available? and at $1300 premium (so we hear) I mean REALLY?

Some of you might remember my thread where I wanted a fusion host that would run 2-3 VM's of my companies application (that uses SQL 2008) not GIANT VM's but medium.

I pretty much got devoured by one poster who declared that the i7 in the rMBP might could run two vm's but implied it would be a crippled beast who would burn down like flash paper on Mercury's surface :-)

I abandoned the rMBP

not that I had illusions that the 27" IMAC would be that much better, but I figured 32Gig o' ram.... better for VM's & I if could run my Safari & Mac Outlook & maybe 2 VM's all simul I'd be OK

well their HD/ssd pricing shenanigans has faded this fanboy...
No Sir, I don't like it (as Mr Horse used to say)

I wanted a pure SSD solution with all my VM's on thunderbolt externals (I have a 1Tb Lacie (non ssd) now with the Air's & vm's run fine via Thunderbolt (admittedly 1 at a time for now)
I'm scared of the hybrid I guess, that's it's not going to provide the raw speed that I see in my present 2011 pure SSD MBA's

?????????? I'm miffed at these funsters Let me buy my 256G or 512G SSD & I'll love you again (and let those poor 21.5" basterds do so as well!

Wahhhhhhaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by intz2nu View Post
Get it all, EVERYTHING. Full-spec! And if you can't afford it find a way. Sell your kids, mom, pop, uncle, and grandma, even your wife!

Ok jokes aside I personally always buy my new Macs Fully-spec'd, especially given the fact that a lot of the newer Macs coming out are non user-upgradeable. So personally for me if I can't afford to go Full-spec I just continue to tos the pennies on the side for the day I can be able to purchase a Full-spec Mac. And lemme say this I don't game, video edit, photoshop, or pretty much anything other than just browse the web, look at youtube clips, download movies, etc etc. So that being said I can tell you from the get go that I really don't need to go Full-spec but I just do as most of my computers always seem to have a life sentence being I take good care of my things and as they say most people don't need a super fast sports car but that doesn't mean they don't want one or can't have one. I guess I look at my computers being the same way.
swordsmn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac