Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
On my iPhone, there is an app called Reminders. I like the app, but noticed that it is not available on my late 2011 model MBP. Someone has told me that, with the new OS update that will be arriving soon, it will be available for syncing to my MBP. Is this true? Will I be able to sync the Reminders app on my iPhone to my MBP?

Similarly, I'm aware that there are now "reminders" in iCal that can be synced to my MBP, but this seems to require iCloud. Honestly, I'm not ready to take the leap to using iCloud, mostly because I've heard horror stories of people losing all of the information they sync, which is not something I can afford.

Am I correct in that the Reminders app on my iPhone will be available for syncing with my MBP when the new OS update comes out? Or am I mistaken in thinking that, and that it is only the "reminders" in iCal that can be synced to my MBP.

Personally, I would like the iPhone Reminders app, which is a stand alone app, to sync to my MBP and not the "reminders" in iCal.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Too bad it's not what I wanted to hear.

So, is it possible to sync "reminders" without using iCloud?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
In Lion, the Reminders app in iOS syncs with the iCal app in OS X through iCloud or iTunes Sync.

With Mountain Lion, reminders will be removed from iCal and given there own app in OS X. They will still sync the same ways.

(As far as the iCloud horror stories, a good backup strategy should give you piece of mind! :))

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
In Lion, the Reminders app in iOS syncs with the iCal app in OS X through iCloud or iTunes Sync.

With Mountain Lion, reminders will be removed from iCal and given there own app in OS X. They will still sync the same ways.

(As far as the iCloud horror stories, a good backup strategy should give you piece of mind! :))

Good to hear! Final questions (I hope): will the new app be akin to the current Reminders on the iPhone? If not, do you know whether or not there will be syncing available between the Reminders app on the iPhone and my MBP?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Good to hear! Final questions (I hope): will the new app be akin to the current Reminders on the iPhone? If not, do you know whether or not there will be syncing available between the Reminders app on the iPhone and my MBP?
Yes, it syncs via iCloud. Reminders

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
This is also true if you use either with an Exchange server for email. Syncing occurs on both.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
But don't expect a reminder based on Arriving At/Leaving a location to work on your OS X system (that is until they put a GPS in laptops) :)

matthewcornell

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2008
Sure. You can sync directly with your Mac, either wired or wirelessly.

Would you please tell me how to sync my laptop's Reminders app (10.8.2) with the one on my iPhone (6.0.1) without using iCloud? I couldn't find a relevant setting in iTunes (11.0.1) or my iPhone. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.