Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:48 PM   #26
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete78 View Post
I'm no expert either, but I tend to agree with you, that's why I am leaning toward the 3TB Fusion. I guess I could go with the 1TB Fusion + non-SSD externals just to protect against the Bootcamp issue, but I have a feeling that Apple is going to fix the situation so that Bootcamp works on the 3TB (at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself!).
Well I went with the 1TB fusion because of what people on here told me about it being just as fast and keeping your internal drive healthy to store your photos/video on an external drive and just use the internal for running the program/application. That was I suppose more for video editing but I don't regret my decision to order a 1TB fusion instead of the 3TB I had initially intended.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:23 PM   #27
hotelfive
macrumors newbie

Great post guys thanks for all the insight! Im buying a new iMac in January and this is one of my decisions...

I am a pro photographer and currently use a MBP for my editing with LR. I keep my Catalogue on my HD and all my images get stored and backed up on two externals (I always have 2 copies of my files at any given time, on 2 different drives in the event one fails)...

So for my new system I'm opting for the 3TB for the following reason...

I can keep my Catalogue and a years worth of images on the internal drive. This will allow me to access the images very quickly as they will sit on the main internal drive. If I were to do this on a 1TB drive, as soon as it got about half way full it would start to get sluggish. At least with 3TB worth of storage I can keep a good amount of images on the internal HD and still back up to an external. And then I won't be pulling my working images (or the images I look at a lot, like vacation or pics of the kids) from a slow external drive.

I also have a hard time justifying going out and buying 2 new external hard drives (Id want to upgrade to USB3 at least) when I have 2 that are working just fine (just a slow USB2). I don't mind using slow externals if I don't need to access them frequently, or to work on them for clients images.

Once my old externals start getting full I take them and store them off-site so I will hopefully never lose the super valuable pics of the kids etc...
hotelfive is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac