Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think he/she was asking your usage when you got over 1 day of battery on the phone and still at 25%.

Yeah i'm not stupid ;) that was my usage over that period....... And it was 26% if being pedantic :p

I was on wifi most of the day (except when travelling in the car, walking the beach) and I don't have LTE here. Just basic GSM & 3G.

Even on a very heavy usage day of using more apps, lots of photos, uploading to HTC share via mobile data, emailing photos to friends, lots if phone calls and texts, reading blink feed and pulse, music and some lighter gaming (light as in cut the ropes style games ather than 3D intensive shadow gun ) and a few of YouTube clips or podcasts I get through a 13-14 hour day with around 40% left when it inevitably goes back on charge.

Never had any issues with battery life. My only problem was a defective camera lens hence reason it has been returned.

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Did you know that Samsung is the most corrupt company in the world? Good reading (I was shocked):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709688/samsung-25-years-lee-kun-hee

Please consider this before you put any money in this company. I'd wish Apple wouldn't buy components from them.

I'm disappointed that the article makes no mention of worker accident coverups, the rising cancer rates at their semiconductor factories that Samsung does nothing to alleviate nor compensate the workers affected (and muzzle anybody that tries to bring attention to it) or the fact that even South Korean government officials aren't immune and can get fired for speaking out against Samsung. They pretty much run the country like a mafia.

Not to mention their shady marketing tactics that also involve dirty tricks, PR stunts, and guerrilla marketing.

It's indeed one of the most corrupt company in the industrialized world and yet not a negative thing is ever said in any mainstream press. If only Samsung got even a tenth of the attention as Apple has in recent years... There's a lot not being said.

I've pretty much boycotted Samsung for ethical reasons mostly, not to mention that their products lack any imagination or originality. Their product design consists of cramming as many features (useless or not) without any sense of style nor direction, box it in a plastic casing, and call it innovation.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I wonder if this person has boycotted Apple also for using Samsung parts in the iPhone?

People who engage in these 'boycotts' do so to make themselves feel better, since such actions are irrelevant, so consistency is not required.

didgeridoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I thought the display on the S4 ( having seen it first hand ) is much nicer than that of the iPhone.

Also I found the UI was very smooth and fluid, just as you'd find on the iPhone.

"Sound on the S4 is another problem. It still has just one tiny, tin-can-sounding speaker on the bottom back of the phone."

Just like the iPhone's speaker.

But... the phone is far too large IMO.
The iPhone's speaker is on the bottom (in portrait mode) and is quite good for its size. It's better than most tablets.

didgeridoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
... The 5S will likely suffer the same review critisms due to being near identical to iPhone 5 (if rumours are true) but with gimmicky hardware slapped on (fingerprint scanner - come on is ths some 1990's spy movie apple are now using as inspiration) ...
I look forward to the fingerprint scanner since iphone theft has become rampant. I might even break the contract with my 5 for it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I look forward to the fingerprint scanner since iphone theft has become rampant. I might even break the contract with my 5 for it.

I assume you can still force the iphone into DFU mode, and then restore it back to factory - therefore bypassing fingerprint scanner if its stolen however. I doubt it will make any thief stop in their tracks.

didgeridoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I assume you can still force the iphone into DFU mode, and then restore it back to factory - therefore bypassing fingerprint scanner if its stolen however. I doubt it will make any thief stop in their tracks.
Yes, but at least they couldn't get any personal data. I don't like having to enter a code each time and so don't have one which leaves the data vulnerable.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I can't see the attraction. It's fugly and plastic like the software it runs on.

Sure buddy

ybu6uhu7.jpg

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Seriously? It's about a half inch wider and taller than the iPhone 5. That's hardly the difference between a phone and a small tablet.

Try using it with one hand while holding a strap during a semi bumpy ride when the train is packed. The iPhone 5 isn't exactly the best mind you, but at least I can reach from one corner to the next without having to fiddle with the phones position.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Slimy plastic body, gimmicky features, sluggish, crappy speaker, too big for 1 handed operation, 2nd rate Android Experience (compared to HTC), big beautiful over saturated (inaccurate) display?

But it's got a camera slightly better than an 8 month old iPhone. It's a winner!!

What's the S5 got in store for us? Detachable back cover circa Nokia 5110? :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Bigger isn't always better.

It is when you got it.

oh look, here comes the Android bandwagon. Looks full and they're all angry!!

I'm seeing more of the iPhoneGuard coming out here. They're not well armed either based on some of their reasoning.

That's the reaction I had when I looked at iOS in the Apple Store. I saw the wall of icons, swiped them. Done. Next...

I just can't get past the cheap plastic build.

Get over it?

When are these other companies going to realize that build quality is just as important as performance and function?

That made me lol. No really it did man. :D

It's funny how how obsessed iPhone users are with the build quality even if the software it runs hasn't seen a major overhaul in years.

iOS 7 could get a disappointing update, but if the iPhone looks great who cares right?

Also too many gimmicks that are half baked and only work ideal conditions.

Such as?

Some will go for the bigger screen, but I prefer a streamlined quality experience.

Some prefer a loaded GM car, and some of us prefer something more refined, even if it has less gimmicks.

Yea setting up my Google Nexus was a pain. Had to turn it on and put in my Gmail account and password. Wooohhh how did I manage! :rolleyes:

Seriously, you've obviously never used Android, so don't comment on something you know nothing about.

And here come the paid Samsung shills to try and defend this pathetic device.

Again I'm seeing more iPhone loyalists that don't know jack about Android.

Nikon and Canon had a run of that...

I don't know what's worse. The Canon/Nikon wars or iOS/Android.

Ugly and cheap looking

Too big to fit in my pockets. Are these things even phones anymore, too big too big

You know what they say about a guy with small pockets...

I can't see the attraction. It's fugly and plastic like the software it runs on.

And here's the prime example of users not knowing jack squat about Android. :)

I swear the comments by iPhone boys/girls are so predicable.

Eww plastic!
So hard to set up!
Who needs a big screen?!
Who cares about the OS, as long as the phone looks good?!

Those comments just scream ignorance. Ya'll need to open your minds a bit and get past what Apple has told you is "right" for you.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
That's the reaction I had when I looked at iOS in the Apple Store. I saw the wall of icons, swiped them. Done. Next...

Ew.. nice fancy battery eating flashy bits = Android. You know it's true.

It's funny how how obsessed iPhone users are with the build quality even if the software it runs hasn't seen a major overhaul in years.

It's funny how obsessed Android users get when they are jealous of a superior build quality.

With regard to an OS that hasn't seen a major overhaul, well, lets look at the reason shall we. Android was a pile of dung before ICS. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Fragmented OS anyone?

iOS 7 could get a disappointing update, but if the iPhone looks great who cares right?
Not me. But while Samsung bring out yet another Galaxy [insert screen size here] wannabe clone, iPhone will still run faster, smoother and have less viruses than any single iteration of Android you choose to name.

Yea setting up my Google Nexus was a pain. Had to turn it on and put in my Gmail account and password. Wooohhh how did I manage! :rolleyes:
Nothing like a Big Brother like Google watching over your every move and telling you what to buy, huh?

Seriously, you've obviously never used Android, so don't comment on something you know nothing about.

What Happens WHEN Android Fails: http://www.technewsworld.com/alert/77901.html

Again I'm seeing more iPhone loyalists that don't know jack about Android.
What version of Android are you running? In any case, you'll be in the minority if you've upgraded, because that's always been a big fail with all the problems people have had.

I don't know what's worse. The Canon/Nikon wars or iOS/Android.

Nikon/Canon users don't care so much. I use both. Red Sox / Yankees is maybe a bit closer.

I swear the comments by iPhone boys/girls are so predicable.
Ho Hum

Eww plastic!
So hard to set up!
Who needs a big screen?!
Who cares about the OS, as long as the phone looks good?!
Useability: serviceability: the quality of being able to provide good service

Those comments just scream ignorance. Ya'll need to open your minds a bit and get past what Apple has told you is "right" for you.

Pot/Kettle/Black

Seriously though. I don't know why you care so much about iOS and the users. For years Fandroids have tried to claim a superior product when iOS users, just keep using their better built, more stable and infinitely more intuitive smartphone, walled garden and all. I say 'who cares what you like'. I certainly don't.

All I hear about this latest Samsung is that it doesn't live up to what it was supposed to be. iPhone killer? Lets wait for yet another try shall we?

Pechente

macrumors member
You obviously haven't held a S3 or S4 as they are very easy to use with a single hand.

I haven’t used an S3 extensively, that’s true. What i have used over a few weeks though is a Nexus 4 and it was way too large. Constant repositioning of the hand was required to hold and use it properly. I ended up returning it since using it one-handed was pretty cumbersome. I can’t imagine a 5" device to have any better usability.

Malizzar

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
One thing I find funny is all this talk about the "plastic" feel. I bet most everyone who is complaining about it did not do the same when they held their iPhone 1, 3, 3S in their hands.

As a long time iPhone user who has owned every single version of the iPhone since it launched including my recently retired iPhone5 I can say I am so far impressed with the Galaxy S4. I was curious at first so I decided to depart from the iPhone and give it try. I do not see an issue with the "plastic" feel as I have put a case on every iPhone I ever owned so it feels about the same.

I do have larger hands so at times the iPhone felt almost to small in my hands. The S4 feels fine and I can type with one hand with no issues. I do like the larger screen for reading emails and attachments. Perhaps it is my age but it is definitely easier on my eyes.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to what device works for the individual. I think trying to stereotype a phone as good or bad when it is selling in large volume is pointless and simply trying to "fan" it into your way of thinking.

Buy what you like and enjoy it.... nuf said.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
One thing I find funny is all this talk about the "plastic" feel. I bet most everyone who is complaining about it did not do the same when they held their iPhone 1, 3, 3S in their hands. .

You know whats shocking :eek: iphone OG to iphone 3g, metal ---> plastic and damm well everyone loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.