Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I tried watching a local game on mlb.tv using TunnelTo.us smart DNS, which is free. MLB said they could not verify my location, and then asked me to put in a credit card to verify my location.

Does this happy on unblock-us or other pay DNS services?

wombat94

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
Unblock-us is working great on my mac mini and my ATV3. Can't get it to work on my iPhone. Free trial. Give it a shot.

I don't think unblock-us will work on an iOS device, because the MLB TV app uses iOS location services to determine where you are, not the DNS system that the website/computer apps use.

The only way I ever got rid of the blackouts on my iPad was when I had it jailbroken and used a location spoofing app.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
correct. to use it on an iphone, you need to be jailbroken so you can install a location spoofer. unblock-us.com works great on everything else, though

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Older Airport Extreme. Not the newer tower AC model. I haven't messed with the router, just changed the DNS on the ATV3 and mini.

I use unblock-us for NHL gamecenter and bbc primarily. And just changed the DNS on the router. So I didn't have to do each unit/computer independently.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I use unblock-us for NHL gamecenter and bbc primarily. And just changed the DNS on the router. So I didn't have to do each unit/computer independently.

on each unit/computer, do you have to set the DNS to then point to the router instead of something like 8.8.8.8?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
on each unit/computer, do you have to set the DNS to then point to the router instead of something like 8.8.8.8?

Computers / devices default to using whatever DNS the router uses. The router defaults to whatever DNS the ISP (internet provider) uses. For example, if you have Comcast, your router will by default use Comcast's DNS, and then your computers will also use Comcast's DNS.

If you manually change the DNS on your router to something else, all your devices will then use that specific DNS. So for example, even if you have Comcast, but you configure your router to specifically use openDNS, then all your computers and devices will also use openDNS. In this scenario, nothing needs to be changed on the computer / devices themselves; only on the router.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
okay, i was wondering where the devices were getting the DNS address from before i changed it

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
okay, i was wondering where the devices were getting the DNS address from before i changed it

your ISP

a lot of content providers use the location of your DNS server for your location info to connect you with a local copy of the content or for blackout info

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal

This works fine on your home network, but when traveling you'll need to set the DNS on each device.

Unblock-us claims not to support IOS devices for MLB. However, I have been able to get it working on my wifi only iPad also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.