Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaphodsplanet

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
Don't update with this yet

I had a freaking 2000+ page document I've been working on for a long time. It's mostly text and is only about 30MB in size. I've got 12 GB of Ram on a 2011 iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo..... running 10.7.5 Anyway... I installed the update thinking nothing about it yesterday when my machine pinged me about the update. I had taken a couple day break from said huge ass file. Now... when I go to open the file freaking Pages crashes before it finishes opening the file. I can actually see the damn text but I can't modify it..... I get the "opening file" progress bar and then it goes from blue to grey... and then the stupid ass spinning beach ball for a couple minutes then it totally crashes Pages.

Needless to say this really ticks me off. I hate using MS Word. I've got the newest version and each year I swear the interface get's less logical and more useless. HATE IT... I've been very happy with Pages as it does what I want to to do w/o making me look through a ton of stupid and asinine menu systems. If I need real graphics layout I'll use Indesign....But if I can't get back to being able to open this file and i have to start from scratch again. I may go OpenOffice and ditch both iWorks and Office.... due to this issue. :( This is the kind of crap that happens with MS software, and I still love how just like in the old days before OS X.... MS software still seems to screw with the computer as soon as you fire it up. Would love to punch Ballmer and/or Gates in the face for the crap they never seem to stop making and the thousands of dollars of my time they've wasted. Jerks.

Anyway, consider yourself warned. And if anyone knows a fix to this issue please post it. Thanks.

Last edited:

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
The iWork apps for Mac need a complete overhaul, in my opinion. I think that Microsoft did a great job with the ribbon interface; it really fits well for productivity.

Unfortunately they disabled the inspector in Office which was much better if you have multiple documents open or like being able to find options in the same place rather than jumping around the screen or hiding.

The MS ribbon moved me wholly to iWork.

----------

It only took 2 and a half years, but I waited them out and now will be able to buy the latest iWork apps instead of iWork 2009. :D

Now, I will have to upgrade my OS on my MacBook to 10.8 though.

Is there anything new other than complying with iOS? Being the lowest common denominator is boring!

I've seen new icon artwork in the inspector and quicker exporting via the share menu. Is that it?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I had a freaking 2000+ page document I've been working on for a long time. It's mostly text and is only about 30MB in size. I've got 12 GB of Ram on a 2011 iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo..... running 10.7.5 Anyway... I installed the update thinking nothing about it yesterday when my machine pinged me about the update. I had taken a couple day break from said huge ass file. Now... when I go to open the file freaking Pages crashes before it finishes opening the file. I can actually see the damn text but I can't modify it..... I get the "opening file" progress bar and then it goes from blue to grey... and then the stupid ass spinning beach ball for a couple minutes then it totally crashes Pages.

Needless to say this really ticks me off. I hate using MS Word. I've got the newest version and each year I swear the interface get's less logical and more useless. HATE IT... I've been very happy with Pages as it does what I want to to do w/o making me look through a ton of stupid and asinine menu systems. If I need real graphics layout I'll use Indesign....But if I can't get back to being able to open this file and i have to start from scratch again. I may go OpenOffice and ditch both iWorks and Office.... due to this issue. :( This is the kind of crap that happens with MS software, and I still love how just like in the old days before OS X.... MS software still seems to screw with the computer as soon as you fire it up. Would love to punch Ballmer and/or Gates in the face for the crap they never seem to stop making and the thousands of dollars of my time they've wasted. Jerks.

Anyway, consider yourself warned. And if anyone knows a fix to this issue please post it. Thanks.

It's Apple's Pages who crashed your document but most of your comment is bashing Microsoft! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

jgrundfast

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Master Slides?

Is anyone else getting the issue that the master slide items are being sent to the back of the page?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.