Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyomagi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Ok, please keep in mind i have a ipad for all my app needs.

I just need a phone with 4g and email

Should i go with the iphone 5 or the HTC?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Seeing as you're on an Apple forum, I would definitely go with an iPhone 5 :rolleyes:. It's nice having your apps correlate with your iPad and iPhone.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

If you like windows 8 get the 8x, if you like ios get the iphone 5. Only you can answer this. Also this is an iphone forum where people have experience with the iphone and not windows, thus the answers are probably not helpful at all. Just walk into an att store and see for yourself.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
In terms of hardware, you can't really go wrong with either of them (I actually have an 8X that I use alongside my 4S). It's really the software that will help you decide. Since you said you have an iPad to cover your app needs, that won't play as much as a factor in your decision.

Have you played around with both OS's yet? IMO the live tiles with Windows Phone are much more useful than the static icons of iOS. I find the OS to be equally smooth/fluid between both. In all honesty, except for the app gap, I'd rank WP and iOS as my favourite mobile OS's. I give the slight edge to WP because of the live tiles.

I'd say since you already have an iPad, go with the 8X because then you'll get the best of both worlds.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I'd get the iphone5. Because the h8x is a plastic piece of poop. Huge bezel, clunky and heavy.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd get the iphone5. Because the h8x is a plastic piece of poop. Huge bezel, clunky and heavy.

It's not heavy unless your a frickin stick insect :rolleyes:

I have both a HTC 8X and a iPhone 5.

There are too many issues with the HTC 8X (music rarely syncs with Xbox music no matter what settings meaning cover art and smart-dj feature rarely if ever actually works).

Bluetooth audio sometimes stops and I have to do a full reboot to sort it.

Sick of waiting for the portico update which fixes a number of my issues, but the vagueness of who s responsible to roll out the update frustrates. Why it just can't be released everywhere at same time like apple.

Beats optimisation seems to amount to pre-amp volume boost rather than proper equalisation, and unlike the HTC One X you can't use beats settings with Bluetooth headphones.

Windows Phone 8 needs a proper notification centre.

HTC 8X battery life has been so so for me.

If I had to choose between one or the other, most definetly it would be the iPhone 5. Much less needless frustrations.

I am going to sell my HTC 8X and buy a Blackberry Z10. I'll be keeping my iPhone 5.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
It's not heavy unless your a frickin stick insect :rolleyes:

I have both a HTC 8X and a iPhone 5.

There are too many issues with the HTC 8X (music rarely syncs with Xbox music no matter what settings meaning cover art and smart-dj feature rarely if ever actually works).

Bluetooth audio sometimes stops and I have to do a full reboot to sort it.

Sick of waiting for the portico update which fixes a number of my issues, but the vagueness of who s responsible to roll out the update frustrates. Why it just can't be released everywhere at same time like apple.

Beats optimisation seems to amount to pre-amp volume boost rather than proper equalisation, and unlike the HTC One X you can't use beats settings with Bluetooth headphones.

Windows Phone 8 needs a proper notification centre.

HTC 8X battery life has been so so for me.

If I had to choose between one or the other, most definetly it would be the iPhone 5. Much less needless frustrations.

I am going to sell my HTC 8X and buy a Blackberry Z10. I'll be keeping my iPhone 5.

Which carrier is your 8X with? Mine is a T-Mobile and I got the portico update right away. Fixed the issues I was having with it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Which carrier is your 8X with? Mine is a T-Mobile and I got the portico update right away. Fixed the issues I was having with it.

3 Ireland.

I tried putting different carrier sim (vodafone) in as mine is carrier unlocked and still no portico. Very frustrating.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Im happy with my 8X over the iPhone 5, but I cant say I would recommend it to everyone. Im on my third for QC issues and the hard to hit power button is a huge knock.

WP8 is cool though

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Im happy with my 8X over the iPhone 5, but I cant say I would recommend it to everyone. Im on my third for QC issues and the hard to hit power button is a huge knock.

WP8 is cool though

And the same thing I have read with the Lumia 920. I really want an alternative to the iPhone 5 but with the QC issues I won't be jumping to WP8 (ignoring the weaknesses the OS/apps).

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If you are genuinely interested in WP8 I would suggest Nokia rather than HTC. But if all you need is 4G and email, why is between those two phones? You have dozens and dozens of inexpensive options.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

WP8 is cool though

No QC issues here but the power button is a PITA and is hard to get used to. It's even worse with a lot of the cases I've tried.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. As someone else mentioned, decide which OS you want and then go from there.

kyomagi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. As someone else mentioned, decide which OS you want and then go from there.

Thanks

I liked the windows os, however, 3g tethering killed it

I picked up a iphone 5 at full retail because they wont let me keep my unlimited plan at VZW.

Jailbroke it and have myfi. I love it.

Now, do i keep my ipad or go for a nexus 10? lol

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

I would say iPhone 5. You already are on iOS with your iPad and I think the metro interface looks...meh.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sold mine.

Still no portico update. Bugs were driving me mental and the power button placement was getting on my t1ts.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Huge bezel yes, but clunky and heavy? Have you ever held one? And they use a high quality plastic that feels really good.

The 8X is beautiful, but I would pick the iPhone 5 over it due to iOS and the way you can have your iPad and iPhone mirror each other.

Now if the 8X had android in it, it would be a much harder decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.