Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
okay so the performance of teh new imacs os great, but in terms of ergonomics (and ergonomic compatibility) they suck.
Thin is nice, but what is the reasoning behind the vesa mount incompatibility?
And the headphone jack on the back(and all other jacks as well).
Do people in Cupertino actually use iMacs?
(I've been there, they do).
As much as I dig Apple gear, they have lately been giving me too many reasons NOT to buy. Due to space constraints I WILL be wall mounting any iMac I buy on an articulated wall arm. If the current model won't do that, I will have to pick up a refurb or used model. Lower performance, but it does what I want.
Gotta wonder about the Edu market. I see alot of wall mounted imacs in libraries and schools.

Previous models also had all the jacks on the back of the machine, too. The only thing that was on the side for the previous models and moved to the back is the smart card slot.

(I didn't mention the lack of optical drive as this seems to be "undesired" for all new Macs including laptops, so it is moving to become a legacy device, at least according to Apple).

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Previous models also had all the jacks on the back of the machine, too. The only thing that was on the side for the previous models and moved to the back is the smart card slot.

(I didn't mention the lack of optical drive as this seems to be "undesired" for all new Macs including laptops, so it is moving to become a legacy device, at least according to Apple).

Of course I am aware that the jacks have been on the back for a while. I just think it is absurd.
I can get the logic of having the USB TB etc on the back, but the headphone jack and sd card slot? This applies equally to the mini. Sure it LOOKS cool to have a clean face devoid of jacks, but this is putting form too high above function.
Sure ditch optical, only 10% of us need it. But it sure would have been nice if they kept the thickness the same and put the jacks on the side where the optical used to be.
I guess I am in the minority. But everytime I think I want an iMac or another mini I go look at them in the store and realize what an ergonomic train wreck they are.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Of course I am aware that the jacks have been on the back for a while. I just think it is absurd.
I can get the logic of having the USB TB etc on the back, but the headphone jack and sd card slot? This applies equally to the mini. Sure it LOOKS cool to have a clean face devoid of jacks, but this is putting form too high above function.
Sure ditch optical, only 10% of us need it. But it sure would have been nice if they kept the thickness the same and put the jacks on the side where the optical used to be.
I guess I am in the minority. But everytime I think I want an iMac or another mini I go look at them in the store and realize what an ergonomic train wreck they are.

How is having a headphone jack on the back of an iMac an ergonomic train wreck? Sure, if you have a PC on the floor under your desk, but it's never more than an arms reach away. And after 1 or 2 times, muscle memory will allow you to plug headphones in without looking behind anyway.

It's no more ergonomic having ports on the side/front, but it'd be a whole lot uglier.

skh

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
To me, it doesn't look impossible to add VESA compatibility.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/MwjRqELAmH4KPMUQ.huge

It looks like that bracket/stand wouldn't be hard to remove, and replaced with a BTO option for VESA bracket. Obviously they would change for it for users to have it changed who already have the stand, but I don't see why there couldn't just be an alternative, VESA-compatible bracket.

Yes, this is annoying. Yes, it's not ideal to have to take the whole thing apart to add VESA. However, I don't see why it couldn't physically happen, apple sanctioned or not.

I've had my iMac unopened (in the box) for a few weeks now deliberating the importance of VESA, as my current setup uses it.

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Apple finally comes to their senses regarding VESA

This is welcome news with regard to VESA support from Apple.

They could have saved themselves a lot of well deserved criticism if they had simply said, "We don't support it yet but we will have a solution available for shipping in the coming weeks". Instead they remained aloof and gave no indication. This undoubtedly hurt their reputation and to a lesser extent their sales. I wonder how many people who had already invested in arms were made to worry unnecessarily about their upgrade options and how many potential customers simply walked over to the Dark Side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.