Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjb0419

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
Alright, so my dad game me his 160gb Classic to try and fix. At first it would do nothing, screen would not come on at all and no music could be played. I tried plugging it into my computer and very faintly the apple logo screen came on and it went into a reboot loop, I tried different button combinations for resetting, putting into disc mode, etc and nothing happened. It just kept rebooting with the screen being very faint. Never showed up in the computer at all either. I then plugged it into an outlet and then the screen showed brightly with the Apple Logo but it stayed on the apple logo screen, I left it on the charger for around 30 minutes and went back and it was on the main menu, however none of my dads music or info was on the ipod. I tried then putting it in disc mode and disconnecting it (to try to restore it on my computer) however as soon as I unplugged it the screen went dead and when I plugged it into the computer the same thing happened. I tried plugging it into the outlet and the same thing happened (stuck on apple logo for around 30 min).

I'm guessing it has something to do with the battery, maybe it just needs to be replaced? However I found it strange that there was nothing on the ipod when it rebooted so maybe it's something more?

I just wanted to know if you guys thought it would be worth it to get a new batter (and where those can be acquired) or if I should just tell him to get a new iPod! I almost worked for apple, but I'm used to working more on MacBooks and Apple TVs then iPods. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Alright, so my dad game me his 160gb Classic to try and fix. At first it would do nothing, screen would not come on at all and no music could be played. I tried plugging it into my computer and very faintly the apple logo screen came on and it went into a reboot loop, I tried different button combinations for resetting, putting into disc mode, etc and nothing happened. It just kept rebooting with the screen being very faint. Never showed up in the computer at all either. I then plugged it into an outlet and then the screen showed brightly with the Apple Logo but it stayed on the apple logo screen, I left it on the charger for around 30 minutes and went back and it was on the main menu, however none of my dads music or info was on the ipod. I tried then putting it in disc mode and disconnecting it (to try to restore it on my computer) however as soon as I unplugged it the screen went dead and when I plugged it into the computer the same thing happened. I tried plugging it into the outlet and the same thing happened (stuck on apple logo for around 30 min).

I'm guessing it has something to do with the battery, maybe it just needs to be replaced? However I found it strange that there was nothing on the ipod when it rebooted so maybe it's something more?

I just wanted to know if you guys thought it would be worth it to get a new batter (and where those can be acquired) or if I should just tell him to get a new iPod! I almost worked for apple, but I'm used to working more on MacBooks and Apple TVs then iPods. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'd take it to my nearest APPLE store for an accurate diagnosis, and repair estimate. You wouldn't want to replace the battery, and then find out there's something else wrong. I believe you can give the genius at the store a max amount you want to spend on the repair. If the estimate is over that, they just won't do the repair, but might charge you a bit for the estimate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.