Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Hey everyone!

I want to move a clip from one place on the screen to another. I don't want the "ease in, ease out" transition of the movement that is default if I put in two keyframes. I can not find this feature.

What I've found out so far: I can adjust this for another parameter by doing the following:
- Select the clip
- select "Show Video animation" from the Clip menu
- select "Solo Animation" from the Clip menu
- from the small white box (see screenshot 1), I select the wanted parameter
- I click on the small dark blue box on the top right of the keyframe editor (see screenshot 2)
Screenshot 1.png Screenshot 2.png
- I can right-click on any line between two keyframes and pick the interpolation (see screenshot 3)
Screenshot 3.png

But: When I select the position as a parameter, there is no dark blue box in the upper right corner (see screenshot 4). I can not see or right-click on the interpolation lines. I think the reason is that there are multiple parameters for position (X and Y), and this can not be displayed. I couldn't find out how it can.
Screenshot 4.png

Does anyone know if there is an option that I just overlooked? I have been searching the internet, too, but FCPX is not that well documented in forums yet.

I would appreciate any help.

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Solved it - weird behaviour though...

Okay, so after trying a huge amount of different things, I have found one way that worked for me. Maybe there are better ones, but this seemed like the only option for me:

- Go into the Tranformation editing mode in the viewer (see screenshot)
- Right-click on one of the position keyframe points (see the same screenshot)
Keyframes.png
- Choose "linear" of not chosen already

Now hold it, this does not seem to do it yet... here comes the weirdness:

Go to the frame before (and after if your track continues) the keyframe and just click "add keyframe" and "remove keyframe" several (like 5) times. Be sure to end this procedure when there is no additional keyframe (well, it probably wouldn't matter, but that's at least a little cleaner).

I have no idea why this changes things, but it does. You can even see the video move when you create a keyframe and then stay where it moved to when you delete the keyframe again.

After I did this strange keyframe adding and deleting before and after the position keyframes, the ease-in and ease-out behaviour seemed to be gone...

If anyone can explain this or maybe finds a better way to deal with it, further posts are surely very welcome by future readers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.