Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
Wow dude. Please do an internet search for AV Foundation and get caught up.

Huh? Nothing in AV Foundation about Windows or color handling on any platforms besides mac. "The AV Foundation framework provides an Objective-C interface for managing and playing audio-visual media in your Mac app." Great for mac owners and idevice owners. Not great for content creators that need to target devices used by the other 80% of the computing population.

What is the container format of the future that will provide a consistent viewing experience across all platforms? What is the low-bitrate codec that will enable half-hour or longer content to be viewed on wireless streaming devices, and over http wired connections?

Try it yourself. Choose a 30 minute piece of content - any tv show will do. Get as close to an uncompressed source as you can so that the full color range is present - deep blacks and pure whites. Encode it once in the container and codec of your choosing using any tool you like - a single file. View it on 3 windows machines of 3 friends without changing their setup or installing anything. View it on 3 iOS devices, 3 android devices, and 3 mac laptops without changing their setup or installing anything. Is the color accurately represented in all viewing environments? Pay special attention to the contrast and black and white levels. Is the black BLACK, or washed out grey? Is there aliasing? Is there aliasing at fullscreen? Is the file streamable? Can it be downloaded in a reasonable amount of time on a common home connection? hotel connection? airport wireless? 3G connection? Which OS platforms provide an experience closest to the original? Which OS platforms vary the most?

You probably won't do these tests. I do, every single day. There is a problem. The cross-platform color handling in quicktime is already badly broken, but at least users can play back something - even if it makes directors cringe and cry. No apple supported quicktime player on windows is going to make things worse.

nubero

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Zurich
Huh? Nothing in AV Foundation about Windows or color handling on any platforms besides mac. "The AV Foundation framework provides an Objective-C interface for managing and playing audio-visual media in your Mac app." Great for mac owners and idevice owners. Not great for content creators that need to target devices used by the other 80% of the computing population.

What is the container format of the future that will provide a consistent viewing experience across all platforms? What is the low-bitrate codec that will enable half-hour or longer content to be viewed on wireless streaming devices, and over http wired connections?

Try it yourself. Choose a 30 minute piece of content - any tv show will do. Get as close to an uncompressed source as you can so that the full color range is present - deep blacks and pure whites. Encode it once in the container and codec of your choosing using any tool you like - a single file. View it on 3 windows machines of 3 friends without changing their setup or installing anything. View it on 3 iOS devices, 3 android devices, and 3 mac laptops without changing their setup or installing anything. Is the color accurately represented in all viewing environments? Pay special attention to the contrast and black and white levels. Is the black BLACK, or washed out grey? Is there aliasing? Is there aliasing at fullscreen? Is the file streamable? Can it be downloaded in a reasonable amount of time on a common home connection? hotel connection? airport wireless? 3G connection? Which OS platforms provide an experience closest to the original? Which OS platforms vary the most?

You probably won't do these tests. I do, every single day. There is a problem. The cross-platform color handling in quicktime is already badly broken, but at least users can play back something - even if it makes directors cringe and cry. No apple supported quicktime player on windows is going to make things worse.

Yeah, that whole color problem sucks… Not to mention we don't have a feasible video/container format that includes styled subtitles (that are actually easy to produce and use), multiple audio tracks and chapter markers – or executives in technology and the movie industry that would have an understanding for that need.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You don't have to transcode most formats before cutting it in X. If you're happy with Pr, that's cool, it's a fine NLE. FWIW, here's what'll play natively in X, no transcoding needed:

H.264 from GoPro and iFrame cameras.
H.264 from DSLR cameras.
DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD.
HDV.
Panasonic AVC-Intra, including AVC-Intra 100 and AVC-Intra 50.
Sony IMX, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM HD422 import supported with additional Sony software.
Sony XAVC import up to 4K supported with additional Sony software.
Canon XF MPEG-2 import supported with additional Canon software.
JVC-created XDCAM EX.
AVCHD, including Panasonic AVCCAM and Sony NXCAM.
REDCODE RAW (.r3d) files up to 5K with optional background transcode to Apple ProRes 4444. Playback, transcode, and render accelerated by RED ROCKET card.
Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit SD and HD.
Apple Intermediate Codec.
Still images including PSD, BMP, GIF, RAW, JPEG, PNG, TGA, and TIFF.
Compressed audio including AAC, AIFF, BWF, CAF, MP3, MP4, and WAV.
Broadcast Wave Format.
SDII audio files.

That's awesome! Glad to see that FCPX can do this now. It made me MAD whenever I saw Premier CS2 and Avid Media Composer 4 (circa 2005) sucking up footage and not needing to render.

Glad to see that Apple finally put those features into FCPX in 2011.

I don't like compressor and ain't use it if I don't have to.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
LaForge

Compressor was one of the many bottlenecks in my workflow in the past. Then I was introduced to Sorenson Squeeze and never looked back.

TPiko

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
As a pro...

Always wanted to say that, but seriously, until I can open a pre-FCPX file in FCPX, it is pretty useless to me. We constantly have to go into old projects to update things for clients. XML is not a legitimate answer as that only copies what is in a timeline, not a whole project.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Always wanted to say that, but seriously, until I can open a pre-FCPX file in FCPX, it is pretty useless to me. We constantly have to go into old projects to update things for clients. XML is not a legitimate answer as that only copies what is in a timeline, not a whole project.

We have the same problem with FCPX.... we have 16 seasons of broadcast episodes we have to deal with... and we need to be able to access the old projects, and sometimes bring in pieces from older episodes. So FCPX isn't a solution for us for the reason you stated.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Is this why most are returning to Premier, or Avid ? Bet Adobe are smiling at this one.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Is this why most are returning to Premier, or Avid ? Bet Adobe are smiling at this one.

Yes, and truth be told many never left for Final Cut. Most of the shows you watch are cut on an Avid system. Most of the music you listen to is cut on an Avid system.

Indie filmmakers may switch from time to time, they have the size to be flexible. If you drop 1.1 million on an ISIS system and 20+ seats of MC5.5, 2 Symphony systems, and 4 Adrenaline systems you aren't going to be switching back and forth often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.