Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themamba24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
I was attempting to remove my left speaker and its plug from the "SPK j6702" port(might not be the correct name) on my logic board when the entire port including the wire came off! Now there is an empty spot on the board and I desperately need to reattach the unit so I can still use my left speaker. any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, thank you

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Yes, but unless you have experience with soldering, I don't recommend you try it. Instead find a electronics shop or friend that has experience in soldering small items.

---

If you insist on doing it yourself, buy; Perfboard, De-soldering braid, Thin rosin core solder, no clean flux pen, spool of wire the size of what your soldering and finally a soldering iron with a tip small enough to match what your working on.

Practice:
  • Soldering the spool of wire you bought to the perfboard.
  • Removing solder from the perfboard with the braid.
  • Tinning the tips of wire and then re-heating it to attach it to the perfboard.
  • Search YouTube for soldering tutorials.

Once you feel comfortable:
  1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Clean any old solder off the pads of the Motherboard and the connectors of the speaker jack with the braid.
  3. Use the flux pen on the pads of the motherboard and jack.
  4. Tin the pads on the motherboard.
  5. Re-attach the jack.
  6. Check to make sure you didn't accidently short anything by accidently soldering 2 pads together.

Note: Depending on how badly you messed up the jack, it may be necessary to solder the wires directly to the board.

themamba24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Yes, but unless you have experience with soldering, I don't recommend you try it. Instead find a electronics shop or friend that has experience in soldering small items.

---

If you insist on doing it yourself, buy; Perfboard, De-soldering braid, Thin rosin core solder, no clean flux pen, spool of wire the size of what your soldering and finally a soldering iron with a tip small enough to match what your working on.

Practice:
  • Soldering the spool of wire you bought to the perfboard.
  • Removing solder from the perfboard with the braid.
  • Tinning the tips of wire and then re-heating it to attach it to the perfboard.
  • Search YouTube for soldering tutorials.

Once you feel comfortable:
  1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Clean any old solder off the pads of the Motherboard and the connectors of the speaker jack with the braid.
  3. Use the flux pen on the pads of the motherboard and jack.
  4. Tin the pads on the motherboard.
  5. Re-attach the jack.
  6. Check to make sure you didn't accidently short anything by accidently soldering 2 pads together.

Note: Depending on how badly you messed up the jack, it may be necessary to solder the wires directly to the board.

THANK you SOO MUCH, im going to go to a shop today or tomorrow. However I was curious if a missing left speaker jack/port/connection to the logic board would prevent the entire computer from starting? I dis-assembled my macbook and after the port broke off I still went ahead and put everything back together and when I started it up it beeped repeatedly with short pauses between the beeps, is this because of the broken port, or errors in my reassembly?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
What Model and year is your MacBook?

Either you did something wrong or there was more than just a speaker connected to that port. How many wires were there? Because speakers only have two.

themamba24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
What Model and year is your MacBook?

Either you did something wrong or there was more than just a speaker connected to that port. How many wires were there? Because speakers only have two.

I have a 2009 basic macbook. And it was just the two speaker wires so I'm guessing it was my reassembly. does the repeated and continuous beeping (1 beep every 3.5 seconds continuously) indicate what went wrong with my re-assembly?.

Also on a general level, the reason why I disassembled my 2009 mac book was so I could replace the LCD (cracked) with the LCD screen of my 2006 macbook which I dont currently use.

(I now realize that I shouldn't have even touched the logic board in the swap but that's not relevant at this point).

Now that I have reassembled both with the swapped screens my 2006 mac book starts up fine but with nothing on the screen (the 2009 cracked LCD) and my 2009 mac book (with 2006 LCD) won't start up altogether and just has the repetitive beeps/flashing light.
1) Should my screen swap even work in the first place?
if it should work: 2) Why would the 2006 macbook start up yet have a black screen?

Once again I cannot thank you enough for all of the help you have provided me! :D

MathiasMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I have a 2009 basic macbook. And it was just the two speaker wires so I'm guessing it was my reassembly. does the repeated and continuous beeping (1 beep every 3.5 seconds continuously) indicate what went wrong with my re-assembly?.

Also on a general level, the reason why I disassembled my 2009 mac book was so I could replace the LCD (cracked) with the LCD screen of my 2006 macbook which I dont currently use.

(I now realize that I shouldn't have even touched the logic board in the swap but that's not relevant at this point).

Now that I have reassembled both with the swapped screens my 2006 mac book starts up fine but with nothing on the screen (the 2009 cracked LCD) and my 2009 mac book (with 2006 LCD) won't start up altogether and just has the repetitive beeps/flashing light.
1) Should my screen swap even work in the first place?
if it should work: 2) Why would the 2006 macbook start up yet have a black screen?

Once again I cannot thank you enough for all of the help you have provided me! :D

Looks like it's a memory problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538

themamba24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Looks like it's a memory problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538

That's what it seems but I don't know because I tried using the RAM from my 2006 mac and the beep was still there.
EDIT: The link you provided me was for iMacs not macbooks, but still if you/anyone knows what the repeating beep with a few seconds in between the beeps means for a 2009 macbook, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm curious if the 1 beep repeating can indicate anything other than RAM because the RAM was working fine before my screen swap for both of my macbooks. Or could my transfer have damaged the RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.