Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
...is the "iPad 2 processor". I'm not concerned about now, but what is your opinion on how quick it's depreciative compatibility life will expire in comparison with other Apple products. I'm worried that this having an older processor will lesson the average span that we usually get with iPhones and iPads.

[SIZE="-2"]Sub-thread. Do you personally feel an iPad mini and iPhone 5 are redundant?[/SIZE]

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
...is the "iPad 2 processor". I'm not concerned about now, but what is your opinion on how quick it's depreciative compatibility life will expire in comparison with other Apple products. I'm worried that this having an older processor will lesson the average span that we usually get with iPhones and iPads.

[SIZE="-2"]Sub-thread. Do you personally feel an iPad mini and iPhone 5 are redundant?[/SIZE]

If you're not into the all new games with a high performance need, get the iPad mini now. If you are, or using some heavy applications, I'd suggest you wait for the update to come.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

IMO it runs as smooth as my iPad 3. As far as if it will get all the new features of iOS 7. Maybe, but it won't affect how long you can use it. Buy and enjoy. Great device.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
IMO it runs as smooth as my iPad 3. As far as if it will get all the new features of iOS 7. Maybe, but it won't affect how long you can use it. Buy and enjoy. Great device.

I will definitely enjoy it. But I am one who often utilizes most of the new features in the updates and will be somewhat bummed if it can't fully operate iOS 7. I don't expect it to last me forever, of course, but still...

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I will definitely enjoy it. But I am one who often utilizes most of the new features in the updates and will be somewhat bummed if it can't fully operate iOS 7. I don't expect it to last me forever, of course, but still...

You might want to wait on the new one then. That probably will be next fall though. For me, right now it's hands down the best iPad for what I use it for. If you buy now and get a 32GB wifi you're looking at $475.94 with a 6% sales tax. Going off of history with Apple products you should be able to get $300 easily for it when the next iPad comes out. Probably a little more if you want to hold out for that amount but $300 for a quick sale. So it'll cost you $175 to use it for 9-10 months.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Nobody apart from Apple really knows what they have planned for updates for the iPad mini. However my guess is that the mini will see iOS 7 and 8. The A5 CPU is still being used in a lot of Apple's current line-up (iPhone 4S, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV) and it still runs most of iOS very smoothly. There shouldn't be technical reasons for dropping support because of the A5 anytime soon.

The 512Mb of memory is more worrying to me than the A5 chip. That amount of RAM is 'enough' at the moment but could become outdated sooner than the A5. That worry wasn't enough to stop me buying an iPad mini though...

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Nobody apart from Apple really knows what they have planned for updates for the iPad mini. However my guess is that the mini will see iOS 7 and 8. The A5 CPU is still being used in a lot of Apple's current line-up (iPhone 4S, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV) and it still runs most of iOS very smoothly. There shouldn't be technical reasons for dropping support because of the A5 anytime soon.

The 512Mb of memory is more worrying to me than the A5 chip. That amount of RAM is 'enough' at the moment but could become outdated sooner than the A5. That worry wasn't enough to stop me buying an iPad mini though...

I agree i'm sure it will see both iOS 7 and 8 but it might feel slow in a few years not because of the processor but the ram.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Since when is Apple playing this game? They dont publish any clock speeds or amount of RAM.

They quote cores and x times faster than the previous iteration or competitors. It wasn't a criticism of Apple, more that in the past we didn't care about specs so much.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Most bloggers and sites are predicting a buff to the Mini next year. Right now, it's all about form-factor and cost. I think the 16GB is probably the hottest Christmas gift this year.

The debate really is when the Mini 2 will be released. I would say keep following MacRumors and other sites for rumors. As the frequency and reliability of rumors increases, be prepared to sell on eBay or Craigslist. Because rest assured, that when the Mini 2 is released with retina, or the next gen ARM, or 1 GB RAM, there will be a flood of used Mini 1's on the market.

For now, enjoy your Mini!

JohnDG

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

Biggest problem is going to be the battery if they want to keep the slim design.

jdg

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011

Processor, screen, IOS longevity, and RAM are the reasons I went iPad 4...

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Processor, screen, IOS longevity, and RAM are the reasons I went iPad 4...

Same here. I absolutely love the form-factor on the Mini. But half the RAM, no-Retina, use of the older iPad 2 processor, and I couldn't convince myself that the Mini is right for me now.

Also, think about the next generation of each of these devices.

It's easy to imagine so many upgrades for a 1st gen device like the Mini. Faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, probably retina (with bigger battery)...these are all practical assured in a 2nd or 3rd gen Mini.

It's a little harder to imagine what to improve on a 4th gen device like the iPad 4. Maybe an IGZO display, but that's costly and difficult, given Sharp's problems & Apple's desire for their margins and to keep an entry level iPad 5 at $499. Maybe 2GB RAM for an iPad 5 but would you go from 4 to 5 just for that? Given battery technology, which seems to be lagging behind other tech, there is only so much more that can be done to improve the 4th gen iPad.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well, let's say next year we'll get an A6 chip. Or an A6X (more capable graphics) if we get a Retina display. Than what? Than the next 9.7" iPad will get an even beefier A7(X) chip.

The iPad mini will always lag one generation behind.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I was more concerned with the ram than the chip. Comparing it to my iPad 3 they seem about equal. I think the extra ram is used to push the extra pixels on the retina mainly. I haven't had any ram issues on my mini yet but I seldom game, so that might be a factor for you.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Yeah, this was a tough decision. I think you can look at this as if you were buying a modern laptop. Do you want power, or do you want form factor? I buy Alienware laptops because I play games on it in addition to my usual Windows apps. If I didn't play games, I'd go with an Air or something way less unwieldy.

For tablets, I like them as media consumption devices, social networking stuff, e-mail, etc.... so I went with an iPad Mini. I tried a Kindle Fire HD 8.9, and that thing sucked so many ways I don't feel like listing them all. A big minus with it was weight; it simply was not comfortable to use for long periods of time. Hence the Mini.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Same here. I absolutely love the form-factor on the Mini. But half the RAM, no-Retina, use of the older iPad 2 processor, and I couldn't convince myself that the Mini is right for me now.

It's easy to imagine so many upgrades for a 1st gen device like the Mini. Faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, probably retina (with bigger battery)...these are all practical assured in a 2nd or 3rd gen Mini.

It's a little harder to imagine what to improve on a 4th gen device like the iPad 4. Maybe an IGZO display, but that's costly and difficult, given Sharp's problems & Apple's desire for their margins and to keep an entry level iPad 5 at $499. Maybe 2GB RAM for an iPad 5 but would you go from 4 to 5 just for that? Given battery technology, which seems to be lagging behind other tech, there is only so much more that can be done to improve the 4th gen iPad.

exact same feelings and reasons here too...

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

With iPad 4, just look at the iPhone 5, basically going thinner, lighter while improving performance. That same thing will probably apply to the iPad 5, not so much performance but physical changes.

With the iPad Mini, there are a lot of improvements, but don't think Apple doesn't know how to milk a market. They released the iPad Mini with it's current specs full well knowing what they might do with the next iteration or two. Everyone complaining about the current mini's specs are just music to Apples ears as I'm sure they have those planned :)

For me, I went with the 4, sure the Mini is cuter, but I just couldn't deal with knowing it would have such a short lifespan.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I thinks it a good bet the mini will run os 7. I am not sure why one would expect resource bloat at this point of ios's maturity (3 yrs). The larger ipad will be loading 2x size maps so it needs more ram. I see a 2 year life for the mni, which is adequate for my needs. I do not do gaming, and I appreciate how that is whole different thing

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
but don't think Apple doesn't know how to milk a market. They released the iPad Mini with it's current specs full well knowing what they might do with the next iteration or two.

Couldn't agree more with you kev.

Tablets are THE hot item this Christmas and the Mini is priced right for those looking to get in to the iOS eco-system for the first time. And the form factor is awesome. But for geeks and nerds here, specs are important too. I think for "normal" people, specs are not that big a deal.

But to the OP's original question, get the Mini if you want. Use it happily. But keep an eye/ear open for the rumors on the Mini 2. Might be a quarter, might be 6 months, might be nearly a year before the Mini 2 is released. That question will be debated endlessly at MacRumors :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.