Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
To all those with Flickr accounts out there do you find it odd how many views some of your photos get?

I realise that, for instance, on my photostream the pictures are of varying quality but it seems that some have several hundred hits and some have tens of hits even when they have very similar subjects!

Do you find it odd what your most popular photos are? For me it was a bunch of HDR shots when I was going through a phase several years ago but now fortunately it's been overtaken by my more recent shots.

What do you do with your photos once they are on Flickr? I mainly use it to post on here but I do also submit to the groups although I rarely ever interact with them.

Anyway it was just a query that popped into my head when I was looking at my photostream and I wondered if anyone else had similar findings?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I personally tweet my photos, and blog them, and post them here, and into groups. I've noticed when I tweet my photos I instantly get 5 views, this is strange but must be to do with the Twitter engine.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I personally tweet my photos, and blog them, and post them here, and into groups. I've noticed when I tweet my photos I instantly get 5 views, this is strange but must be to do with the Twitter engine.

Same here. It's literally right after I post my photo on Twitter, I already have 5 views on my Flickr page. I honestly don't really care how many "views" my photos get. I would much rather someone comment or favorite it if they really like the image.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
For me, I'm not sure that "odd" would be the right word. I do find it interesting though.

The fact that HDR processed images generate significant interest doesn't surprise me (sad as that is). As a portrait photographer, I have no doubt that you see a spike in views for an image that some may consider provocative. I think that viewers are somewhat predictable...which can be a good thing if it's your bread and butter.

I'm just thankful that I'm not trying to make a living off photography. I don't have to (even though I do) care what others think. I know that I would starve on the revenue from bird and plant shots. :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
For me, I'm not sure that "odd" would be the right word. I do find it interesting though.

The fact that HDR processed images generate significant interest doesn't surprise me (sad as that is). As a portrait photographer, I have no doubt that you see a spike in views for an image that some may consider provocative. I think that viewers are somewhat predictable...which can be a good thing if it's your bread and butter.

I'm just thankful that I'm not trying to make a living off photography. I don't have to (even though I do) care what others think. I know that I would starve on the revenue from bird and plant shots. :)

I haven't quite gone that seedy route of playing the provocative card yet but I can concur with your findings. Generally, any shot that has a female subject rather than a male subject tends to do much better!

It's odd though as the photo I posted today to the POTD thread got over 5 times the amount of views that a very similar shot from the same shoot that I posted yesterday.

I wonder if the working week effect has much to do with it as people log in on their lunch break or when their meant to be working!

Well I haven't made any proper money out of photography quite yet but video yes. I think the daunting thing about photography is that you are sort of expected to do it all off your own back whereas with video you can be a part of a team and all work together!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.