Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Electcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I use my iPad Mini for invoicing for my contracting company. Most of the time I e-mail the invoice to the customer while I am standing there in their house, but sometimes they want a hard copy (some people still don't use e-mail!!!) so I would like to be able to wirelessly print to a blank and white laser printer in my van outside of the house.

What is the best way to set this up? Minimal cost hopefully.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
I use my iPad Mini for invoicing for my contracting company. Most of the time I e-mail the invoice to the customer while I am standing there in their house, but sometimes they want a hard copy (some people still don't use e-mail!!!) so I would like to be able to wirelessly print to a blank and white laser printer in my van outside of the house.

Buy an hp printer with eprint. Set up a wireless hotspot from your 4g ipad. Connect the printer to that. Send the document to your printers email address. Watch it print.

Electcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
It's a shame that they don't make a 12V DC printer with AirPrint. You'd think printing from a vehicle would be more popular now that tablets are being used for business.

I also don't like that I would have to setup a router to do this. Being able to directly connect to the printer would be nice.

I have a wifi only iPad Mini. However, I have an iPhone 4S that I connect the iPad Mini to in order to get internet access. Can I use that as the mobile hotspot instead of a router?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008

Just get an AirPrint enabled printer and a AC/DC converter.
Pretty straightforward and NOT a lot of work.

Electcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Just get an AirPrint enabled printer and a AC/DC converter.
Pretty straightforward and NOT a lot of work.

It would actually be an Inverter.

That part isn't a lot of work, but I am looking for the easiest way. I was hoping people knew of a 12V printer made to be mounted in a vehicle. Will the movement in a vehicle disturb/damage a normal printer?

Another thing that you didn't touch upon is the router aspect. Unless you know of a way to print directly to a printer from an iPad???

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/ta...&productId=1218650524037&tab=default#overview

Buy this and get that ad/dc converter and it will connect to your iPhone 4S hotspot.

----------

It would actually be an Inverter.

That part isn't a lot of work, but I am looking for the easiest way. I was hoping people knew of a 12V printer made to be mounted in a vehicle. Will the movement in a vehicle disturb/damage a normal printer?

Another thing that you didn't touch upon is the router aspect. Unless you know of a way to print directly to a printer from an iPad???

When your iPhones hotspot is on, it functions as a router.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
And how does one connect a printer to a iPhone hotspot?

The same way you would connect a printer to a regular wifi connection. You use the screen on the printer if it has one, otherwise you connect the printer to a computer and enter the Wifi name and password on the computer which saves to the printer for the future use so you can use it wirelessly.

Electcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Search best buy for

Found it, not a bad price either.

So just to confirm, I WILL be able to connect that printer to my iPhone 4S and then print from my wifi iPad that is also connected to my iPhone. Correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.