Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Silicastorm
macrumors newbie

Question Mac Mini - i7 with 3 monitor display

Just purchased the (October 2012) Mac Mini - i7 2.3 and the Thunderbolt 27" Display

I currently have a pair of Samsung -Syncmaster P2250 and want to set up to use all 3 monitors.

Has anyone set up two displays on either side of a Thunderbolt Display?

What is the best way to connect the Samsung monitors both with Dual DVI-D ?

Last edited by Silicastorm; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Silicastorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
COrocket
macrumors 6502

One of the Samsungs can use the included adapter running out of the hdmi port. For the other one you can either get a USB to DVI adapter or get a Displayport to DVI adapter and try to daisy chain it to the back of the ATD.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Cmd-the-World
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COrocket View Post
One of the Samsungs can use the included adapter running out of the hdmi port. For the other one you can either get a USB to DVI adapter or get a Displayport to DVI adapter and try to daisy chain it to the back of the ATD.
As far as I know you can not connect a display port monitor after the ATD. In order to connect a Display port monitor off the Thunderbolt port of the ATD you would need an intermediate Thunderbolt device with 2 ports. As can be seen in this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1163...underbolt.html

The easiest way to have 3 monitors is to connect 2 ATD and 1 HDMI Monitor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Silicastorm
macrumors newbie

Question 3 Monitor setup iMac i7

Ok thanks guys,

If my newbie brain is understanding???

Purchasing a LaCie LBD would enable setup of 3 monitors?

ATD and 2 Samsung would then require which adapters?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:04 PM   #5
joshuaginter
macrumors regular

Judging from what I have read, you would need the Thunderbolt Display hooked into the Thunderbolt port on the Mini. Then the Little Big Disk (you would need to buy a Thunderbolt cable) would hook into the Thunderbolt port on the Thunderbolt Display. Then, you would need a DVI - Mini DP adapter to hook one of the Samsung displays into the second Thunderbolt port on the Little Big Disk. Finally, the included DVI - HDMI adapter would be used to plug the second Samsung display into the HDMI port on the Mini.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Cmd-the-World
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicastorm View Post
Ok thanks guys,

If my newbie brain is understanding???

Purchasing a LaCie LBD would enable setup of 3 monitors?

ATD and 2 Samsung would then require which adapters?
Yes LaCie LBD should allow you to connect the 3 monitors.

The setup will be as follows. HDMI to DVI (included with the Mac mini) converter connected with the Mac mini and a DVI to DVI cable connected to the display. ATD connected to the mac mini. LaCie LBD connected to the ATD. mini-Display port to DVI converter connected to the LaCie LBD and a DVI cable connected from the display to the adaptor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaginter View Post
Judging from what I have read, you would need the Thunderbolt Display hooked into the Thunderbolt port on the Mini. Then the Little Big Disk (you would need to buy a Thunderbolt cable) ...
Depending on which model he buys. The SSD models have a Thunderbolt cable included. The HDD version does not
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:24 AM   #7
joshuaginter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmd-the-World View Post
Depending on which model he buys. The SSD models have a Thunderbolt cable included. The HDD version does not
Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't do the proper research.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini