Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silicastorm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Dubai
Just purchased the (October 2012) Mac Mini - i7 2.3 and the Thunderbolt 27" Display

I currently have a pair of Samsung -Syncmaster P2250 and want to set up to use all 3 monitors.

Has anyone set up two displays on either side of a Thunderbolt Display?

What is the best way to connect the Samsung monitors both with Dual DVI-D ?

Last edited:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
One of the Samsungs can use the included adapter running out of the hdmi port. For the other one you can either get a USB to DVI adapter or get a Displayport to DVI adapter and try to daisy chain it to the back of the ATD.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
One of the Samsungs can use the included adapter running out of the hdmi port. For the other one you can either get a USB to DVI adapter or get a Displayport to DVI adapter and try to daisy chain it to the back of the ATD.

As far as I know you can not connect a display port monitor after the ATD. In order to connect a Display port monitor off the Thunderbolt port of the ATD you would need an intermediate Thunderbolt device with 2 ports. As can be seen in this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1163677/how_to_connect_to_thunderbolt.html

The easiest way to have 3 monitors is to connect 2 ATD and 1 HDMI Monitor

Silicastorm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Dubai
3 Monitor setup iMac i7

Ok thanks guys,

If my newbie brain is understanding???

Purchasing a LaCie LBD would enable setup of 3 monitors?

ATD and 2 Samsung would then require which adapters?

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
Judging from what I have read, you would need the Thunderbolt Display hooked into the Thunderbolt port on the Mini. Then the Little Big Disk (you would need to buy a Thunderbolt cable) would hook into the Thunderbolt port on the Thunderbolt Display. Then, you would need a DVI - Mini DP adapter to hook one of the Samsung displays into the second Thunderbolt port on the Little Big Disk. Finally, the included DVI - HDMI adapter would be used to plug the second Samsung display into the HDMI port on the Mini.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Ok thanks guys,

If my newbie brain is understanding???

Purchasing a LaCie LBD would enable setup of 3 monitors?

ATD and 2 Samsung would then require which adapters?

Yes LaCie LBD should allow you to connect the 3 monitors.

The setup will be as follows. HDMI to DVI (included with the Mac mini) converter connected with the Mac mini and a DVI to DVI cable connected to the display. ATD connected to the mac mini. LaCie LBD connected to the ATD. mini-Display port to DVI converter connected to the LaCie LBD and a DVI cable connected from the display to the adaptor.

----------

Judging from what I have read, you would need the Thunderbolt Display hooked into the Thunderbolt port on the Mini. Then the Little Big Disk (you would need to buy a Thunderbolt cable) ...

Depending on which model he buys. The SSD models have a Thunderbolt cable included. The HDD version does not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.