Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
rk25123
macrumors regular

Bootable SATA III (6Gb/s) PCI Express card?

I'm planning on putting two SSDs in the second optical bay, one for OS X and one for Windows, does anyone know a bootable SATA III (6Gb/s) PCI Express card?

Thanks for the help!
rk25123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2
bax2003
macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600453
bax2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
rk25123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2003 View Post
Thank you very much!
rk25123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:25 AM   #4
mcnallym
macrumors 6502

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/co...rds/index.html

What about the Sonnet Tempo SSD Cards. Rather then using the Optical Bay, can place directly on the card.

They are even Thunderbolt compatible if you end up going down that route.

Downside is no USB3 compared to the card in the thread, however not sure if you need USB3 as you only mentioned 2 SSD's.
mcnallym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 06:14 AM   #5
bax2003
macrumors 6502

Sonnet tempo is much more expensive. With PCIe controller you can put up to 4 SSDs in optibay.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 02:38 PM   #6
hmls
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk25123 View Post
I'm planning on putting two SSDs in the second optical bay, one for OS X and one for Windows, does anyone know a bootable SATA III (6Gb/s) PCI Express card?

Thanks for the help!
How about this one ? anyone try ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-Bay-SS...item3a827b80f2
hmls is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:31 PM   #7
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk25123 View Post

Thanks for the help!
If you're not using both at the same time (OS X and Windows), any bootable PCIe card will do. But honestly, you're not going to gain much over just connecting them to the existing SATA connectors. Most Operating System and Apps I/O is random in nature and well below the SATA2 ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
This is a single lane card and will bottleneck even a single SSD... again, better off just sticking with the SATA2 backplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/co...rds/index.html

What about the Sonnet Tempo SSD Cards. Rather then using the Optical Bay, can place directly on the card.

They are even Thunderbolt compatible if you end up going down that route.

Downside is no USB3 compared to the card in the thread, however not sure if you need USB3 as you only mentioned 2 SSD's.
In my research, this appears to be the best solution for anyone who might want to run a pair of SSDs in RAID0 as it has a 4 lane bus so shouldn't throttle performance. I'm not aware of anyone who has actually tried this though as it's fairly new.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
the sonnet tempo one is good i hear
Old Jul 3, 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
In my research, this appears to be the best solution for anyone who might want to run a pair of SSDs in RAID0 as it has a 4 lane bus so shouldn't throttle performance. I'm not aware of anyone who has actually tried this though as it's fairly new.
I am currently running a Sonnet Tempo Pro in my Mac Pro 5,1 with a pair of 512 GB SSDs in RAID-0 for my photo library (large files) and it performs very well in that application.

Although I do also have it configured to boot OS X with the OS X environment on the RAID-0 array, I really don't see any performance benefit with booting or running OS X files there as compared to the same OS X system installed on a single SSD running on the Mac Pro SATA-II backplane.

Benchmarks obviously show a tremendous speed difference, but actual performance with OS X system access seems to be the same. There is a very noticeable improvement with my photo library located on the RAID-0 SSD on SATA-III PCIe.

I have been unable to boot Windows from this card however, either as the only SSD on the card, or with the second SSD having OS X (which does boot in this configuration). Others users posting here seem to be having the same issues with Windows and PCIe ("external drive") cards.

-howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	840ProRaid0SonnetPCI.png
Views:	55
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	421292  

Last edited by hfg; Jul 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:14 PM   #10
macuser453787
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
I am currently running a Sonnet Tempo Pro in my Mac Pro 5,1 with a pair of 512 GB SSDs in RAID-0 for my photo library (large files) and it performs very well in that application.

Although I do also have it configured to boot OS X with the OS X environment on the RAID-0 array, I really don't see any performance benefit with booting or running OS X files there as compared to the same OS X system installed on a single SSD running on the Mac Pro SATA-II backplane.

Benchmarks obviously show a tremendous speed difference, but actual performance with OS X system access seems to be the same. There is a very noticeable improvement with my photo library located on the RAID-0 SSD on SATA-III PCIe.

I have been unable to boot Windows from this card however, either as the only SSD on the card, or with the second SSD having OS X (which does boot in this configuration). Others users posting here seem to be having the same issues with Windows and PCIe ("external drive") cards.

-howard
Also someone posted benchmark results of their Tempo Pro SSD setup as RAID 0, and IIRC it outperformed the OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD.
macuser453787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 01:16 AM   #11
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post

-howard
Yeah, sorry, I had forgot you and scottrichardson both had these and they performed very well on benchmarks. But as you say for an OS Apps drive it won't make much difference... Media files are another story. My 3x SSD array did wonders for my large photo libraries and RAW to TIFF conversions into NIKs tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser453787 View Post
Also someone posted benchmark results of their Tempo Pro SSD setup as RAID 0, and IIRC it outperformed the OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD.
There is definitely something throttling the Accelsior... Perhaps the SATA to PCIe bridge or the x2 bus interface or something.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 04:03 AM   #12
666sheep
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2003 View Post
Sonnet tempo is much more expensive. With PCIe controller you can put up to 4 SSDs in optibay.
With this SYBA controller from you link you'll end with about 200MB/s per drive using 4 SSDs on one card. You'd need at least 2 such cards. Even if they use max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x2 connector, one card would be suitable for no more than 2 SATA III SSDs (such as 840 Pro).

From reviews I've read on newegg, this card tops out 350MB/s per drive with 2 SSDs connected and about 200MB/s with 4.

Could you post some benchmarks as you have this card installed? It would be interesting to see them.

Last edited by 666sheep; Jul 4, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #13
bax2003
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
With this SYBA controller from you link you'll end with about 200MB/s per drive using 4 SSDs on one card. You'd need at least 2 such cards. Even if they use max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x2 connector, one card would be suitable for no more than 2 SATA III SSDs (such as 840 Pro).

From reviews I've read on newegg, this card tops out 350MB/s per drive with 2 SSDs connected and about 200MB/s with 4.

Could you post some benchmarks as you have this card installed? It would be interesting to see them.
From Corsair Force GT 180GB i got 210 write and 360 read. Better than 185 / 210 from SATA 2 on Mac Pro + I saved internal ports for HDDs.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro