Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fondacio

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Actually there's also "export" in Preview in the File menu with which you can save it in PDF format, which is probably what skinny*k meant with save to PDF.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
If you don't mind my prying, why would you want to make that conversion? The JPEG is already in a lossy format, so any further conversion will likely degrade the image.

Actually, the images wouldn't really be "converted", the PDF file acts as something more like a wrapper that leaves the original jpg data untouched. Of course, you could then compress the resulting PDF, which would typically involve compressing the images contained in the file.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Actually, the images wouldn't really be "converted", the PDF file acts as something more like a wrapper that leaves the original jpg data untouched. Of course, you could then compress the resulting PDF, which would typically involve compressing the images contained in the file.

That still leaves the question of why convert to PDF at all.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

I haven't done it that often, but when I have done it, it is because I have a collection of pictures and I need to point things out in an order. Thus I throw them into a PDF (using Preview) and then add arrows, text and other callouts that way. Then just distribute the PDF and it stays the way I wanted it to look.

But that's not all that common. Oddly enough, I had to do it earlier this week.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
You can put multiple PDF pages into a single document, for example. So stack of JPG photos becomes a single document.
I haven't done it that often, but when I have done it, it is because I have a collection of pictures and I need to point things out in an order. Thus I throw them into a PDF (using Preview) and then add arrows, text and other callouts that way. Then just distribute the PDF and it stays the way I wanted it to look.

I do this too.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

Good tip. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.