Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hello all,

I am upgrading the ram in my MacBook Pro, from 4GB (2X 2GB) to 8GB (2X 4GB)

In my iMac I have 4GB (2X 2GB) with two additional slots left over.

I want to place the 2X 2GB from my MacBook Pro, in to the empty slots on my iMac, making a total of 8GB.

They all have the same specifications, however I believe the two in my iMac are by Elpida and the two from my MacBook Pro are Hynix.

By using two different brands will this cause any problems?

Thanks in advance for your help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They all have the same specifications, however I believe the two in my iMac are by Elpida and the two from my MacBook Pro are Hynix.

Will this cause any problems?
No, you can mix RAM brands and capacities, as long as the specs are appropriate.

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
I've heard that the MacBook Pro Early 2011 can support up to 16GB of Ram?

Is this correct, the apple store only specifies 8GB, so I went ahead and bought 8GB, but I would of preferred 16GB if this is possible?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've heard that the MacBook Pro Early 2011 can support up to 16GB of Ram?

Is this correct, the apple store only specifies 8GB, so I went ahead and bought 8GB, but I would of preferred 16GB if this is possible?
Yes, it supports 16GB.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks, wish I knew this before I purchased the 8GB,

I looked on the apple website, and it said 8GB max, so just took their word for it.

Bit annoyed now lol

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Apple supports up to 8 GB, but 16 GB is known to work. I think there's been one case of a software update breaking compatibility with "extended" memory so just be aware of that.

Edit: It was the 10.8.2 update, which didn't work on systems with more than 64 GB of RAM. Apple supports up to 64 GB in Mac Pro systems so everyone having this issue was running in an unsupported configuration. You'll probably be fine with 16 GB but I just feel that I should point it out.

Last edited:

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Apple supports up to 8 GB, but 16 GB is known to work. I think there's been one case of a software update breaking compatibility with "extended" memory so just be aware of that.

Edit: It was the 10.8.2 update, which didn't work on systems with more than 64 GB of RAM. Apple supports up to 64 GB in Mac Pro systems so everyone having this issue was running in an unsupported configuration. You'll probably be fine with 16 GB but I just feel that I should point it out.

So your saying you could actually put 64GB of Ram in a Mac Pro?

----------

Thanks for all the help so far,

One more question,

I've just put the ram from the Mac Pro in the IMac, now I have.

2 X 2GB (Elpida)
2 X 2GB (Hynix)

Which brand is better quality performance wise? I would like to make sure that the better brand is in the two slots which get 1st priority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.