Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prosty41

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I dont do any video editing..or any editing at all for that matter. I use my computers for basic stuff. Internet, photo storage, cloud, etc. I might play some games on it. That being said, I'd like this computer to be stacked enough to last me a long time. I currently have an old macbook pro and I cant even put the latest version of itunes on it.

So heres what I am thinking:

2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB GDDR5

I am planning to buy after market ram and upgrade it to the max. Will I see much diffrence by opting out of the 3.2GHz processor?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Your macbook pro should be able to run latest itunes np...

latest requirements:

Macintosh System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel Core processor
OS X version 10.6.8 or later
400MB of available disk space
Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store

maybe before you go out and spend $$$ all you really need to do is a clean install of osx (sl,l,ml)

prosty41

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I'm sorry let me clarify... My MacBook is from 2006. It doesn't have the hardware nessisary to support an osx capable of my needs at this point. I started saving for an iMac three years ago and I now have the money saved.. While saving, I just didn't want to invest anything in the old MacBook.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm sorry let me clarify... My MacBook is from 2006. It doesn't have the hardware nessisary to support an osx capable of my needs at this point. I started saving for an iMac three years ago and I now have the money saved.. While saving, I just didn't want to invest anything in the old MacBook.

I think the proposed spec is fine with one caveat...Remember that the RAM on the 21.5's is not user upgradeable, so you might want to consider 16GB at purchase time. Apart from that your spec. would seem more than adequate fro your needs.

prosty41

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Oh that's the 27inch... I was planning on buying after market ram and maxing it out

prosty41

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I see, so your spec is for 27"? Then you can get aftermarket RAM...Crucial is who I use.

Yes I just dont know if upgrading to the 3.2 processsor is worth the extra $. That's my big question

Last edited:

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Any thoughts?

You won't notice any difference what so ever between the 2.9GHz and the 3.2GHz CPU. However, the GPU (675MX) in the high end iMac should be far better. Choose the high end if you plan on gaming sometimes, the price difference is small so it could be worth it.

If you don't need a 27" screen I would definitely recommend you to go with the 21.5" instead, it's a lot cheaper and you won't notice any speed differences.

Choose the Fusion Drive what ever you decide, the rest is not important. I doubt you will need more than 8GB ram for a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.