Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
WAAAAAHHHHHH The race to the bottom has sure made a lot of people whiney about what an app is worth. If you don't get 99 cents of fun out of it don't buy it. If you don't get 4.99 of fun out of it don't buy it. It takes more resources and recoding to make it for iPad and in HD. Not alot but enough.

What? Loads of apps I buy are universal so I don't see why Angry Birds isn't, other than them wanting to make more money by effectively making 2 apps out of what could be 1?

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
As per my standard policy, I've downloaded this for iPhone and iPad while it's free, even though I have zero interest in it currently. I never turn down something free that won't be free forever.

The EXACT reason why I am angry that AppShopper is no longer on the app store.

SteaKnife

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Grover CO
Yes, I bet you've made lots of free apps and made lots of money from ads.

No, ad revenue is a lie. Top ranking apps can make money from ads. No one else can. I have hundreds of thousands of regular users for my free app with ads and an IAP to remove ads. I made $10 in 2012, $3 from ads and $7 from users removing the ads.

In contrast, I made $200 and $8000 from my $1 and $2 apps, respectively. Certainly, quality plays a roll, but I spent twice as many months polishing my free app as I did my $1 app.

I'm never making the mistake of releasing an app users don't have to pay for again... you can get a taste for free, maybe, but getting more than 25% is certainly going to cost money.

Paying a buck to try a app is more than reasonable.. ad "powered" apps are annoying..

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Good question, why arent these 'Angry Birds' games universal?

Because they aren't required to be. So they can make more money with two versions.

Same reason the Seasons is a different game when it is really just a level pack for the original. So is Rio and even Space and Star Wars but the movie tie ins get a pass because the licensing deal would never allow just a 'pack' treatment

These free and paid versions should not be allowed either. Do it via IAP. But Apple didn't force that from the start and won't risk pissing off folks now. It's one of many things that's just wacked in the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.