Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #26
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Next time you buy something, why don't you ask the salesman if he thinks you've earned what you've just bought.
So, with all the rising meritocracy stuff, now going global in fact, where can a rich kid go to buy a "Gentleman's C"? What is the world coming to?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 AM   #27
eric/

Quote:
Next time you buy something, why don't you ask the salesman if he thinks you've earned what you've just bought.
Maybe if you enter into an agreement with the salesman stating that you will earn what you're paying for while you're paying for it. Kinda like college.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If I paid a fortune for a degree, I should expect to get it.
Two points:

She did get a degree
She got a free ride in the masters program (thanks, daddy)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If I paid a fortune for a degree, I should expect to get it.
You don't pay for a degree. You pay for classes that, if you pass, you earn a degree. That's the agreement...write a check, get a diploma no matter what.
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:16 PM   #30
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
You don't pay for a degree. You pay for classes that, if you pass, you earn a degree. That's the agreement...write a check, get a diploma no matter what.
Exactly, if you just want to buy a degree it would be cheaper to buy a printer from WalMart and some nice paper.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:14 AM   #31
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
You don't pay for a degree. You pay for classes that, if you pass, you earn a degree.
In theory, yes.

But in practice, most undergraduate courses are cash cows for fee charging universities. If the graduation rate is too low, you lose the cash. So one must keep graduation rates high. It's called grade inflation.

Also, it's no coincidence that the most expensive universities are usually the most prestigious. You're basically paying for a more prestigious degree.

What I'm trying to say is that money talks and things are not as clear cut as some seem to be implying.
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:29 AM   #32
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
She got a free ride in the masters program (thanks, daddy)
That might have very well been part of her father's contract with the University (discounted/free tuition for offspring), so do not make it sound as though there something funny here unless you know the facts. And, yes, some universities provide discounted or free tuition for the offspring of academic staff. They do this because they can offer a lower salary and also to get the staff personally invested in the institution.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:41 AM   #33
syd430

Reminds me of the South Korean family that sued a prep school for not getting their kid in to Harvard.

Also, this one:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sc...516-1yrcb.html
  0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues