Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:42 PM   #26
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappar View Post
I need to buy a new TV in the near future. I think I would like a Smart TV but that limits the units I would purchase. Would I be better to consider Apple TV as part of the package and therefore have access to more choice in the TV I purchase?
Thanks
Ron
I bought a Smart TV before I bought my Apple TV. I used the Smart TV for Netflix and Hulu Plus, but then I got the Apple TV and I never use the Smart TV anymore.

The apps for the Apple TV are so much better than the Smart TV that I don't think I'll ever go back to the Smart TV for streaming.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:10 PM   #27
StinDaWg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
A basic Windows box or MacMini, even 4 year old ones, blow Apple TV's and Smart TV's out of the water when it comes to possibilities and long term functionality.
+1

I don't even consider the smart features when looking for a new tv, although they all seem to have them now except for the absolute entry level.

I've been running a HTPC with XBMC and Windows Media Center for 6 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is an HP Slimline I bought 6 years ago for $300 and all I've done is upgrade the ram to 4GB and put in an SSD. It runs 24/7 with no issues.
StinDaWg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:50 PM   #28
nrc2112
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
I have a Mac Mini (quad 2.0) that has XBMC and Plex on it and it does a nice job of playback.

I also have a Panasonic Viera VT50 Plasma TV that does a VERY GOOD job with Netflix and is superior to the playback on my TiVo 3. However, my Blu Ray player (Oppo Bdp 103) does the best job with Netflix just by a hair over the smart Plasma TV.

Candidly, I would never get an ATV other than for music or low res movie/vid purposes. It simply is inferior in results and there are various articles that show that other players do a better job.

The Mac Mini with XBMC or Plex is a great way to go as you can store your movies on a network (as well as your music library) and XBMC or Plex can get fast access to them and excellent playback. If I had to choose an Apple device for multi-media, it would be the Mac Mini hands down.

I'll continue to use my TV or Blu Ray player for Netflix, let the TiVo record TV shows and use my Mac Mini and Blu Ray player for music from my NAS.

The point being everyone has far more options rather than limited options when they start building a media "system."
I have the same set as you a panny vt50 65.

I am thinking of getting the oppo 103 but I am concerned that blueray and optical media is dying due to Apple TV and smart tv streaming a la carte views.

I cut cable because of this. I have a 300 Meg pipe in order to future proof.
nrc2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #29
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post
I have the same set as you a panny vt50 65.

I am thinking of getting the oppo 103 but I am concerned that blueray and optical media is dying due to Apple TV and smart tv streaming a la carte views.

I cut cable because of this. I have a 300 Meg pipe in order to future proof.
Disc media will be around for a few years and between your Plasma and the Oppo many smart apps are covered. What I love about the Oppo is how well it plays media files. I can play mkv files, m2ts files, avi and more (all stored on NAS). It also play my 96/24 flac files of music that I purchase from HDTracks.

The Oppo 103 isn't perfect but what it can do it does amazingly well for me. I don't usually recommend products and wont here. I can just say it does exactly what I wanted it to do - superior Blu Ray disc play, nicely upscaled DVD play and ability to play my media files (music and vid/movie).
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:29 PM   #30
nrc2112
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I do not own any optical media at the present time or have a need to play any files via a NAS. So I guess I will just rent movies that I do not want to watch more than once and maybe buy movies and music from amazon or iTunes.
nrc2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater