Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corkycat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I am new to this forum but have been doing quite a bit of research and have a couple of iOS devices, but not the Mac. In a nutshell, am on the verge of splashing out on an ATV but have a couple of questions first, having read of all the pros and cons.

First, which one would be the better buy, the 2 or 3? Have heard that a few folks are having problems with ATV3 and Netflix.....also are they retailing for the same price? What basically is the difference btwn the two?

My primary usage would be the Netflix subscription for movies since I already have the mail version but would now like streaming them instead. Home photos and music files from my non-Apple laptops (both Dells using Windows XP). No need for any games....Have high-speed, broadband Internet connex, too.

The rest of the set-up is as follows:

TV: a Mitsubishi LCD HDTV (5 years old) capable 702/1080p with two HDMI slots. Currently receive cable through a CableCard - don't know how that will affect ATV, if at all. Currently, I cannot get anything "on-Demand" because the CableCard is a one-way device only (think of it as input only). That's OK because I did not want to have yet another box on top of everything else I have and the card is the size of credit card and slots into the back of the TV. You don't even see it and I get all the HD cable channels I want.

Sound System: a Bose Surround Sound CD/DVD player with Dolby Digital 5.1. That's what I current use for my DVD movies and audio CDs. Have 5 speakers with that.

Wireless Router: That is a brand new Netgear WNDR N6003700v3, dual-band (2.4 and 5.0GHz) set up in the office (next room to where the TV is). I do not wish to use the Ethernet connection for obvious reasons. It runs the wife's new iPad just fine as well as my iPhone 4S in the TV room.

And last but not least, I do have a HDMI cable.

Somewhere I read that the ATV has its own power source built-in, so requires no power cord. Is that true because elsewhere I read that it does? What do you get in the box? I do like the minimalist approach.

Based on the above current equipment, is there anything else I should know or do? And should I get the most current generation 3 or will the ATV2 do for what I want to use it for?

Any and all suggestions/tips/hints welcome!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
2 and 3 have the exact same software features. Difference is that the 3 outputs 1080p and the 2 only 720. The 2 is not sold by Apple anymore and if you find from a different source you will pay more than a 3 because of jailbrake ability.

Also, in the box you get the unit, remote, and power cable. The power cable is required.

Corkycat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the info.

One final question re the ATV3: read an Amazon user's review that if you are using WiFi you cannot have any objects between the router and the ATV, otherwise you WIIL get drop offs and stoppages in the middle of a movie or song.

Anyone care to comment on this aspect?

My connection is WiFi and the router is in the NEXT room. I cannot change the set-up for logistical reasons. Besides, that's why I bought this particular router because it said it was a strong signal, designed for a medium to large house and effective to " streaming HD video". Agreed it's not the top of the range with all the bells and whistles. But like I said, I'm not interested in gaming, just movies and music.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
One final question re the ATV3: read an Amazon user's review that if you are using WiFi you cannot have any objects between the router and the ATV, otherwise you WIIL get drop offs and stoppages in the middle of a movie or song.

Some people don't have any problems with Wi-Fi; others do. I've very thoroughly tested and benchmarked the ATV3's Wi-Fi unit with a Linksys WRT32N and found it absymal. Even Apple's other iOS-based devices (e.g., iPad 3) fared orders of magnitude better / faster under exactly the same circumstances (exactly the same location, same test video etc.) However, it seems whether you'll have problems (or not) entirely depends on the router itself. The ATV3 is just not as tolerant as most other devices (including Apple's own, other computing devices).

That is, there's chance you also end up having to use cabling between your router and ATV.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the info.

I have mine in the next room, so a wall in-between. No problem...ever with wifi.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks for the info.

My connection is WiFi and the router is in the NEXT room. I cannot change the set-up for logistical reasons. Besides, that's why I bought this particular router because it said it was a strong signal, designed for a medium to large house and effective to " streaming HD video". Agreed it's not the top of the range with all the bells and whistles. But like I said, I'm not interested in gaming, just movies and music.

My AppleTV (2nd Gen) is on the first floor and my Airport Express (previous model) is on the second floor, --have never had any problems with wifi dropping out, and the ATV loads movies very quickly. (FIOS before, but even now with cable internet it's still pretty quick.)

Corkycat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Finally set it up last w/e and yes, it's pretty intuitive to set up, even fun!

And no problem with the wifi router in the next room.

Watched first Netflix movie, after sigining in and able to go through all the music stns.

Still learning but no problems so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.