Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I've been using Macs for about four years. For the past three years, I've been using Firefox on my MBP because I found Safari to be a buggy and unreliable browser at the time I switched.

I got a new MBA on Monday, and I decided to go back to Safari, since it was made specifically by Apple for this OS. However, I think I'll be switching back to Firefox in the next few days. Since Monday night, Safari has crashed on me three times and twice it couldn't remember the tabs I had open when I opened it again.

I really want to like Safari, I do, but I simply can't use it if I can't rely on it to to do the most basic function: work. Am I the only person who feels this way? Apple has to know how unreliable Safari is, right? Why haven't they fixed it?

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
I see a lot of people complain about Safari but I never see any problems. Its a nice browser with some nifty little features. I currently have 2 windows open, one with 10 tabs and the other with 8 tabs and everything is running fine.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I've used Safari for probably 8 or 9 years, and I have never, ever had any problems with it. I find it to be extremely stable, very quick and a pleasure to use. It doesn't have the level of features that other browsers have, but for those of us who just want a browser that 'works' it is fine for me. It sounds like you got a lemon installation, as I've never heard of Safari crashing on a regular basis.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
I've been using Macs for about four years. For the past three years, I've been using Firefox on my MBP because I found Safari to be a buggy and unreliable browser at the time I switched.

I got a new MBA on Monday, and I decided to go back to Safari, since it was made specifically by Apple for this OS. However, I think I'll be switching back to Firefox in the next few days. Since Monday night, Safari has crashed on me three times and twice it couldn't remember the tabs I had open when I opened it again.

I really want to like Safari, I do, but I simply can't use it if I can't rely on it to to do the most basic function: work. Am I the only person who feels this way? Apple has to know how unreliable Safari is, right? Why haven't they fixed it?

eh? crashed? really? sorry to hear that. never on my MBP. its as smooth as butter. i have moved to safari a few months ago and now chrome looks clunky to me :) but some extensions are known to cause problems. i think adblock is one of them.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I've used Safari for probably 8 or 9 years, and I have never, ever had any problems with it. I find it to be extremely stable, very quick and a pleasure to use. It doesn't have the level of features that other browsers have, but for those of us who just want a browser that 'works' it is fine for me. It sounds like you got a lemon installation, as I've never heard of Safari crashing on a regular basis.

Is there any way to reinstall it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there any way to reinstall it?

You cannot download and install Safari on its own, you will need to reinstall the OS to reinstall Safari.

Honestly though, it is very unlikely the Safari app itself is bad and much more likely related to a Safari settings .plist file or cache folder being corrupt.

Try setting up a temp new user account on your machine and use Safari from that account for a day to see if you still get crashes. If you do not, that tells you nothing is wrong with Safari itself, but that it is a setting/file in your user account.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I've had very little trouble with Safari. iCloud sync is great plus it has a nice downloader plug-in for my Synology NAS too.

PS never force delete built in OSX apps, this can cause grief during updates.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
OP I've had this problem too. Well, not crashing, but whenever I quit the Safari window no tabs are saved. And I even doubled checked that the 'reopen closed tabs' box was checked in the preferences pane. I know I could click 'restore windows from previous task' in the Safari top toolbar, but I really just don't understand why it does this. With a 2010 Mid MBP I am using only about 2GB RAM, so I'm thinking it can't be a lack of RAM.

I mean everything else is fine as it is quick and convenient, I guess this is just one of those little pesky things.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Same here. I've been using it for fewer years, but I've never had any problems...certainly never has crashed...ever.

I've heard that from others, and I don't know why some folks seem to have such problems with Safari.:confused:

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
To the OP - are you running Safari with extensions? If yes, then you could test your install without them.

I've been using Safari since I moved to OSX last July, with no problems but the only extension I have installed is 1Password.

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
Same here,Air mid 2012 with 8GB ram,loved Safari with it's animations and the same thought that it's built into OS.

Gave up after weirdly my CPU usage would go as high as 70% with just FB running.I had adblock and flash blocking extension installed.Now happy with Chrome.Still wish Safari didnt had this high CPU usage bug :(

marcperrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
To the OP - are you running Safari with extensions? If yes, then you could test your install without them.

I've been using Safari since I moved to OSX last July, with no problems but the only extension I have installed is 1Password.
I only have the Twitter toolbar. I'll try turning it off and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.