Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Don't get me wrong I love my iMac and I bought it only 6 months ago, but I am starting to do a lot more traveling. I can not stand not having my OS device with me to Airplay ESPN and other sites to my AppleTV (iOS doesn't do the trick).

Can anyone throw me some ideas on the best way to sell/trade my 2011 iMac.

:)

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I'd sell it anyway apart from Ebay because you probably don't want the expense of shipping and that's the only safe way ebay/paypal will protect you as a seller provided you opted for a traced signature delivery, if you have someone collect the iMac from you and they turn around a week later or 6 weeks later and say to Paypal/ebay they never received - paypal will automatically side with them and the money will come straight out of your bank reimbursed to the thief.

good luck.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
+1 for Craigslist.
You'll save on listing, shipping and the PayPal hassles. Give potential buyers confidence with your ad by telling them you'll meet at the Apple store (a good public place) and set up the appointment for the Genius bar to inspect the machine. People will be reassured that they are getting a nice computer in good working order. It also helps to mention if you have Applecare remaining. Good luck.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Sorry but Craigslist gets a big "-1" from me. My attempt at selling our 2009 iMac netted me nothing but scammers and a big ol' waste of time. It was really disappointing given how much I hear people talk about CL.

In the end I was able to sell my iMac to a guy at work using our internal classifieds.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
CL - sold over 20 Macs on CL the last two years - zero problems. If you want specific advice let me know. iMac is the most difficult to sell via CL because of the size.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Craigslist can depend on location. I bought my current MBP and sold my old on Craigslist. No problem with either transaction. On my sale I only got a couple of scam type emails.

While I use eBay for a lot of stuff I wouldn't sell an iMac on there due to the shipping hassle. The only big items I've sold were things that needed a large audience to get a decent price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.