Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I've had my iPad mini since Saturday but only just got around to downloading some apps, and testing them, etc.
I noticed it is noticeably slower on loading apps, but I guess its expected (compared to my iPhone 5).
I love the form factor so I don't mind sacrificing a bit of speed.

However two questions for you guys:

Seems like the auto-brightness wasn't working so well? It was dark in my room but brightness was like on full. How are you guys controlling or using the brightness? Auto or manual?

Websites reloading - I am using chrome and if I am not in the browser for a few minutes, go back to it, it reloads the page. What if I want to load a site and then leave without internet or just switch back, why does it keep reloading?

Thanks.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Seems like the auto-brightness wasn't working so well? It was dark in my room but brightness was like on full. How are you guys controlling or using the brightness? Auto or manual?

I read somewhere that the auto brightness on the iPhone5 "learns" over time. I am assuming it's the same on the Mini.

Basically you turn it on, then manually adjust the brightness for a little while, eventually it will learn your preferences. I have noticed it adjusting more since I turned it on.

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
I don't use auto brightness. I set mine and leave it as is. Sometimes at night, I will turn it down to read, but other than that, I like it bright.

I don't use Chrome on my iPad mini, iPad 2 or iPhone. I am happy with Safari, so I am not able to help you with that question.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I don't use auto brightness. I set mine and leave it as is. Sometimes at night, I will turn it down to read, but other than that, I like it bright.

I don't use Chrome on my iPad mini, iPad 2 or iPhone. I am happy with Safari, so I am not able to help you with that question.

Thanks for your help.
I'm going to try and use safari to see if I encounter the reloading issue. Don't think I have this problem with ipho e 5 so I read it might be a processor issue.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

I've noticed this 2 days ago. My auto-brightness doesn't seem to be working like my iPhone.

Was thinking there was a issue with my iPad Mini.

I set the brightness. Turn on auto-brightness.
Go into a dark room. Nothing changes.
Toggle auto-brightness on and off. Nothing changes.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I've had my iPad mini since Saturday but only just got around to downloading some apps, and testing them, etc.
I noticed it is noticeably slower on loading apps, but I guess its expected (compared to my iPhone 5).

Websites reloading - I am using chrome and if I am not in the browser for a few minutes, go back to it, it reloads the page. What if I want to load a site and then leave without internet or just switch back, why does it keep reloading?

Thanks.

For the reloading issue: It's because of the lack of RAM. Your iPhone 5 (or iPad 3/4) has twice the RAM as your iPad mini.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Thanks.

Auto Brightness does not work for me at all on my mini. I turned it off and am just doing it manually.

Drew61

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Mobile Safari, Perfect Browser, and Atomic Web Browser provide offline caching of webpages. There are probably other browsers in the App Store that do this also. I use Safari most of the time because it syncs across my iPhone, MacBook Air, iMac, and iPad but Perfect Browser is a nice alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.