Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Team Viewer bandwidth Usage...

i tried finding the answer through internet searches but have been unable to do so...in the event I missed the obvious I apologize.

I am trying to determine how much bandwidth TeamViewer uses when I leave my laptop setup up for "unattended log on" as the idea is i) leave my laptop in this mode while at work and ii) from work, access my laptop on an as needed basis.

Thanks,

Joel
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
i tried finding the answer through internet searches but have been unable to do so...in the event I missed the obvious I apologize.

I am trying to determine how much bandwidth TeamViewer uses when I leave my laptop setup up for "unattended log on" as the idea is i) leave my laptop in this mode while at work and ii) from work, access my laptop on an as needed basis.
I don't have specific numbers, but it's minimal while waiting for a connection. The real bandwidth usage occurs during an active connection, especially with file transfers and display set to optimize for quality rather than speed.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I don't have specific numbers, but it's minimal while waiting for a connection. The real bandwidth usage occurs during an active connection, especially with file transfers and display set to optimize for quality rather than speed.
Appreciate the response very helpful indeed....one followup, any idea on the amount of bandwidth that is used while connected excluding, of course, file transfer bandwdith which is easily determined.

Thanks,

Joel
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Appreciate the response very helpful indeed....one followup, any idea on the amount of bandwidth that is used while connected excluding, of course, file transfer bandwdith which is easily determined.
I don't track the bandwidth usage that closely. It will vary from one connection to another, and based on the settings you use. Any particular reason why the amount is of interest?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:03 PM   #5
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't track the bandwidth usage that closely. It will vary from one connection to another, and based on the settings you use. Any particular reason why the amount is of interest?
Yes, the internet usage in my home last month was off the charts (i.e. 128 GB over our monthly limit) and before chasing the kids for an explanation I want to make sure that it was not due to my use of Team Viewer which was the only different / new usage between my wife and me.

Thanks,

Joel
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Yes, the internet usage in my home last month was off the charts (i.e. 128 GB over our monthly limit) and before chasing the kids for an explanation I want to make sure that it was not due to my use of Team Viewer which was the only different / new usage between my wife and me.
Unless you're consistently transferring a lot of files, there's no way TV could account for that. I use it daily and even with all my other internet activity, my usage is a fraction of that.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unless you're consistently transferring a lot of files, there's no way TV could account for that. I use it daily and even with all my other internet activity, my usage is a fraction of that.
Thanks, much appreciated...will now need to speak to the kids which should be full of "not me, could not have been" or, my favorite, "I have no idea".
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:50 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated...will now need to speak to the kids which should be full of "not me, could not have been" or, my favorite, "I have no idea".
Have you checked for torrent software on your computers?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:55 PM   #9
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Have you checked for torrent software on your computers?
At the risk of asking a stupid question how does one do that noting that I have not added any such software on my mac...

Thanks,

Joel
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
At the risk of asking a stupid question how does one do that noting that I have not added any such software on my mac...
Open Finder and search your Macintosh HD for "torrent". That's a good place to start.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:44 PM   #11
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Open Finder and search your Macintosh HD for "torrent". That's a good place to start.
Appreciate the suggestions...did a search including the inclusion of system files and not a file showed...to the extent that you have other ideas they would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Joel
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Appreciate the suggestions...did a search including the inclusion of system files and not a file showed...to the extent that you have other ideas they would be greatly appreciated...
I haven't tested this, but it may be of some use:

Rubbernet monitors your Mac's bandwidth usage | Macworld

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store