Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Hi team,

I was hoping that those currently using Endnote X6 might offer some commentary on some of the new features introduced in the latest version. From what I understand, Endnote X6 now offers seamless syncing of libraries across devices/platforms. This, coupled with the introduction of an iPad app (http://endnote.com/purchase/ipad-app-offer), and the inclusion of proper annotation/note syncing (in x15), might be enough to get me to take another serious look at Endnote (which I abandoned around v13 when it lacked all of these features).

I have been using Papers2 for the past few years, but have increasingly become frustrated by the lack of proper, in-house cross-device syncing (Dropbox just doesn't cut it). From time to time, I have also found myself missing missing endnote's mature CWYW functionality, which is really unparalleled in papers, sente, mendeley, and colwiz.

On paper, Endnote has seemingly caught up to its competitors...but I was wondering if anyone has any 'on-the-ground' experience? I plan to give the 30-day trial a go (as my university does not have a site licence yet), but look forward to your responses in the meantime!

Cheers,

Rusty

Last edited:

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Definitely download a trial

Hi team, I was hoping that those currently using Endnote X6 might offer some commentary on some of the new features introduced in the latest version

I downloaded the trial, but did not road test as well as I should. There are two similar bugs which cause the application to crash.

The first confirmed by my local supplier after consultation with Thomson Reuters, is that the Mac Version will not import a folder of PDFs without crashing (Mac OS X10.7.5 and 10.8.2.).

The second is the update references function causes a similar crash.

The problems of Endnote seem to be continuing as far as I can see. There have been some basic errors at launch of some versions (e.g. not being able to tab between fields when manually editing text in X4, I think) that were never sorted before the next version incurring an upgrade cost. The manufacturers need to look after their users much better or I can see a decline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.