Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Hello,

I'm thinking of doing an educational application and I'll need some images of buildings. I'm wondering is there a way to know that an image is copyrighted? are all images automatically copyrighted? and what's the best way to go around this.

Thank you

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Best way is to contact the person where you're getting the image from, if it's public property, like buildings etc, you should need to contact the owner or state for copyright laws, that's why in our app Kiddo Atlas, we have issues with adding monuments, because of the effing laws..

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
As above some buildings themselves are copyright and you cannot reproduce images of them without permissions. But to answer the question fully: yes all photographs are automatically copyrighted by the person who took them. Unless explicitly stated otherwise you need to obtain permission (probably pay) to use them

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Thanks for the feedback.

What about the pictures in Wikipedia (like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guggenheim-bilbao-jan05.jpg) it says that I'm free "to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work" under: "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work)."

does this mean I have to put a small footer text below image ?

Thank you.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Not sure were you are in the world but try looking up your local Architects Professional Association. Website or phone they should have a Media & Education officer who should be more than happy to give you the Architects official line on how to properly deal with the copyright of the Architects works in the images you want to use. They might even have information they can feed you ready for use without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.