Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Please forgive ahead of time my comments -

Adobe can cram it with their forced new scheme of on line stuff. I prefer to pay for my software, use it when I want, skip a month if need be and then some. This entire on line and cloud stuff is way over rated and a cash box for Adobe.
In my estimates, the right thing they should have done is left it as a choice rather than force us to make the move so to speak for future upgrades (Photoshop). I guess CS6 will be my last purchase from Adobe.

Aperture, Pixelmator, Corel's products in a virtual and GIMP are looking better and better each day.

Just so you know, you can skip a month or two or however many you want with the cloud. You just pay more per month of use. With traditional software, that's just wasted investment if you plan to upgrade to the next version on release.

And it's even more of a cash box for Adobe than you probably imagine because it's and easy way to go legit rather than pirating it, and many people have stopped pirating and started paying. It's also an easy way to get freelancers up and running, and downsize when you don't need freelancers around.

I get the hatred of the system, but it works for me and it's cheaper (especially in up front capital) so I'm not complaining.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Just so you know, you can skip a month or two or however many you want with the cloud. You just pay more per month of use. With traditional software, that's just wasted investment if you plan to upgrade to the next version on release.

And it's even more of a cash box for Adobe than you probably imagine because it's and easy way to go legit rather than pirating it, and many people have stopped pirating and started paying. It's also an easy way to get freelancers up and running, and downsize when you don't need freelancers around.

I get the hatred of the system, but it works for me and it's cheaper (especially in up front capital) so I'm not complaining.

I appreciate your take on Adobe's subscription scheme and again, they should have let it become a choice rather than being forced. In some instances, such as a business, purchase is far easier to work with for asset management. My gripe is about choice and for those that find the on line option to work for them I am happy for them and never considered anything wrong with the option itself.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

Just be wary of Adobe raising the price in the future once everybody is used to paying for their products by subscription. This particular Photoshop/Lightroom-only deal is $10/mo for the life of the subscription...the other subscription options are likely to cost more in the future once Adobe sees what the market will bear.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I appreciate your take on Adobe's subscription scheme and again, they should have let it become a choice rather than being forced. In some instances, such as a business, purchase is far easier to work with for asset management. My gripe is about choice and for those that find the on line option to work for them I am happy for them and never considered anything wrong with the option itself.

The only reason I see it, is for them to focus on one thing. They picked a direction instead of working on two paths.

I'd say purchase depends on the business. Perhaps Photoshop and Illustrator are used in larger companies where purchasing is an issue. In my field, companies tend to be well under 30 people and we use Adobe products extensively.

----------

Just be wary of Adobe raising the price in the future once everybody is used to paying for their products by subscription. This particular Photoshop/Lightroom-only deal is $10/mo for the life of the subscription...the other subscription options are likely to cost more in the future once Adobe sees what the market will bear.

I'm always on the lookout but I don't think subscription prices are likely to change. I pay for the full subscription. Many of these other options are temporary (I'm not positive on this one). Adobe doesn't tend to change prices much and I'm sure they ran some cost analyses on this. I doubt it's going to change for those who didn't get a temporary deal.

$50/month is in line with their previous upgrade costs, and they make up initial costs on those who skip versions.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The only reason I see it, is for them to focus on one thing. They picked a direction instead of working on two paths.

I'd say purchase depends on the business. Perhaps Photoshop and Illustrator are used in larger companies where purchasing is an issue. In my field, companies tend to be well under 30 people and we use Adobe products extensively.
I've been speaking to a couple of medium-sized publishing companies (100+ staff) that are thinking of completely removing their dependence on Adobe. For them, paying a subscription to access their archive of material is unacceptable. And the rates for "Teams" are outrageous. Plus the scandalous over-charging of non-US territories.

Adobe has produced several "limited offer" introductory deals for CC. As soon as one ends, there's another. That suggests that the fish aren't biting.

As I've said, if you look on the Adobe forums, there are lengthy threads about alternative products to the whole range, for professional use (not just GIMP!). To say nothing about complaints about bugs (so much for the never-ending stream of bug fix updates).

Adobe seems to be moving its core business away from making software for professional creatives, towards "nebulous" services for marketing and advertising.

Like many others, I'm staying with CS6 and hoping that the company sees sense. Hopefully, if they don't reach their targets with Creative Cash, then the shareholders will backlash.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Pixelmator and Gimp will get better and better, and hopefully start eating into Adobe's customer base.
CS6 pretty much does it all - when software is as competent as CS6, improvements are exponentially slower. Pixelmator is less competent, so should catch up at a quicker rate - hopefully before hardware refuses to run my copy of CS5.

I won't be subscribing - I'm a serious hobbyist photographer who only occasionally sells work, and Elements covers most of my photographic needs - I mainly use CS5 for creating as opposed to editing. This subscription model is merely making me more proficient with CS5.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Pixelmator and Gimp will get better and better, and hopefully start eating into Adobe's customer base.
CS6 pretty much does it all - when software is as competent as CS6, improvements are exponentially slower. Pixelmator is less competent, so should catch up at a quicker rate - hopefully before hardware refuses to run my copy of CS5.

I won't be subscribing - I'm a serious hobbyist photographer who only occasionally sells work, and Elements covers most of my photographic needs - I mainly use CS5 for creating as opposed to editing. This subscription model is merely making me more proficient with CS5.

I hope that Pixelmator and GIMP come around to taking advantage of this time where people are on the fence so to speak about Adobes new "vision."

Maybe Corel will get its act together and become a big time player again in the professional and prosumer world. Coreldraw was a really impressive tool in its day and their paint program was not too bad either.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I've been speaking to a couple of medium-sized publishing companies (100+ staff) that are thinking of completely removing their dependence on Adobe. For them, paying a subscription to access their archive of material is unacceptable. And the rates for "Teams" are outrageous. Plus the scandalous over-charging of non-US territories.

Adobe has produced several "limited offer" introductory deals for CC. As soon as one ends, there's another. That suggests that the fish aren't biting.

As I've said, if you look on the Adobe forums, there are lengthy threads about alternative products to the whole range, for professional use (not just GIMP!). To say nothing about complaints about bugs (so much for the never-ending stream of bug fix updates).

Adobe seems to be moving its core business away from making software for professional creatives, towards "nebulous" services for marketing and advertising.

Like many others, I'm staying with CS6 and hoping that the company sees sense. Hopefully, if they don't reach their targets with Creative Cash, then the shareholders will backlash.

That's the opposite of what's happening in my arena. After Effects is the most widely use program in my industry and Premiere is overtaking Final Cut because they got to the DSLR/x264 market first.

Good luck on your end.

----------

Maybe Corel will get its act together and become a big time player again in the professional and prosumer world. Coreldraw was a really impressive tool in its day and their paint program was not too bad either.

Doubtful. From what I hear from a friend who uses Corel extensively (because he needs accurate measurements that Illustrator doesn't cater to) they're producing crap—at least in the windows side. I can't imagine their software runs better on Macs than Windows.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Quick warning on this, went from PS CC and moved to PS/LR program wich was half the price of what was paying for PS CC on its own, only catch is on trying to download LR 5 I was told that Snow Leopard is not supported.
What a pain, do not fancy an OS upgrade with all the associated hassle that will involve right now.

colorex

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Get it into your head, Adobe--I will not buy into rental schemes that make my software arbitrarily stop working. I don't even care if it's $.01/month. If you ever want any more of my money, offer a proper, non-rental version.

--Eric

It is good. The price is too much?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
You could not pay me to use this ********.

I will use the software I paid for on my own schedule, when I please, and how I please. Nobody is going to tell me when I should upgrade something, and I will upgrade things when I feel the need to and I'm not in the middle of a critical project.

I can't wait until Adobe's activation servers get hacked and everything goes down for just long enough that all their software on the planet stops working. That is the day I will sit and laugh and fire up my boxed copy of CS6 and continue working as if nothing happened.

I don't normally advocate piracy, but in this case, **** Adobe until they go back to offline licensing. If you need to use CC, don't subscribe to this ****. Go look up our good friends called X-Force and follow their directions instead.

-SC

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I guess Adobe have not heard of Pixelmator then?

Any Photographer can get the excellent Pixelmator for a £10 one time payment, instead of paying Adobe £10 per month forever!

It's ironic how a little-known company selling a $15 (USD) app in the Apple App Store is stealing tons of sales away from Adobe's Photoshop. It's like a mouse running circles around a sick elephant.

Joewilliamsca

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
I really hope Apple updates Aperture soon with some of the awesome stuff that Lightroom has, because I really don't want to install Adobe software on my computer.

Totally agree. I'm holding out for Aperture 4 as long as I can. I have a feeling it may show up before the end of the year (fingers crossed)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.