Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canneb2

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Ok after my initial short lived victory i have finally sussed this out.

The problem is with the lid magnets. Run a very weak magnet alongside the left hand side of the keys at the lower point of the fn button is located the sensor this instantly sends the mac to sleep/wake.

Seriously this is working for me at no expense.....:D other macbooks the sensor could be located on the right, it's just a matter of locating it...:cool:

No more flickering then black and opening and closing until it stays on.......

Late 2009 Macbook 13" White
Model A1181 - Located on the base of your mac

Thanks for this, because that is EXACTLY the problem.

I have MacBook Pro, early 2011 model. The sensor is located on the RIGHT hand side by the right arrow. I have been searching for a while as to why this was happening. Saw that people had mentioned that magnets might be a problem. I wear a magnetic bracelet on my right hand. I put it up to the sensor, and the screen went black instantaneously. DUH! ;)

dialupdolly

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Mac to Black Problem Solved!

I tried most things on this thread but my mac still went to black and had to be rebooted every few minutes. Finally got myself a new charger and that was the end of the problem. Two days, now, and holding. :D

davkt

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for that problem solved for me! Using the Macbook pro on my lap with my Blackberry in my pocket!

ThePipeDream

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Just a thoughtful pondering.....

I was wondering from everyone who has reported they have had this issue; by chance does either end of the battery on the underside stick out at all?

I've noticed my computer is less likely to do the random black screening if I hold the battery securely in place. I DO have the battery locked in it's place, however on one end it juts out of it's spot just a TINY bit. So I'm wondering if anyone else had/would check to see if the edges of their battery looked the same.:confused:

Johnstonia

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Having this issue with a i7 2.6 ghz macbook pro with 8gb ram running 10.7.5. Happens at least once a week now, sometimes in some extremely inopportune moments... like during my last ccp :mad:

Took it to the Apple store and got no play, they wouldn't even look at the logs, just asked me if I could show them what I was doing when it happened.. Fools, that's what logs are for.

mabesNY

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Use a screensaver

I'm encountering the same sudden blackout problem. Thanks to this forum, I plan to bring my MacPro to Apple to have the video card replaced. Until I do, I've been leaving my computer on 24/7 with a screensaver and haven't experienced any blackouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.