Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burritolove

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
i am going to brazil for the holidays and wanted to know if the supplied 5w charger (the little square with prongs) can be used to charge the ipad mini and iphone 5 without damage. i know the old charger (the bigger one that has fold away prongs, 12w) stated on the charger that it can handle 110-240v but i can find no info on the 5w.

thanks

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
I live in Brazil and I've never used 220v, 110v is pretty standard.

Me too, but watch out. There has been a change in Brazil's plug standards. Now we use an hexagon plug with 2/3 round pins, like in the image below:
MB051BZ

You should do well to make sure you have at least an adapter when you travel here or you'll run out of power ;)

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
The chargers are worldwide the same, only the plug differs. I have charged my iPhone and iPad in Europe, USA and Japan without any problems.

Supertek

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah.. no problem! Depending on the state you're visiting the standard voltage is 220V.. but most of them are 110V.

Ellethor

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Venezuela
i am going to brazil for the holidays and wanted to know if the supplied 5w charger (the little square with prongs) can be used to charge the ipad mini and iphone 5 without damage. i know the old charger (the bigger one that has fold away prongs, 12w) stated on the charger that it can handle 110-240v but i can find no info on the 5w.

thanks

the most of the charger can work with 110 and 220, even with differents frecuency 50 60 Hz etc.. the only thing that you have to do is buy an adapter to plug...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.