Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Does anybody have Google TV?

Or, know of a good review?

Or, care to share your understanding of this product?

The sales pages on Google didn't seem too helpful (to me anyway) and I can't seem to find a review for newbies.

Thanks.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Kinda like Google Voice, it appears to just be added features to something else. Any review will be of another product, since "Google TV" isn't really a device, just software added on. Here's a hilarious article, which apparently thinks this particular device is the best possible because....it's cube shaped.

There's an infinite number of ways to get Netflix onto your TV, and Google TV is one of them.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
I just discovered the Google TV recently (yeah, I know, I'm late to the game). It's really catching my eye.

As JAT said, it's not a single device like the Apple TV, it's more of a platform. Here's a list of devices that support it. The Sony NSZ-GS7 seems like the best one, but it's also about twice as much as the Apple TV. The Hisense Plus and VIZIO Co-Star, on the other hand, are priced the same as the Apple TV.

There seem to be a lot of benefits to it. For one, the remote is much more useful than the aTV remote, coming with a keyboard on the back and also being able to support other devices. I have a Logitech Harmony One universal remote, so this isn't much of an issue, but the keyboard thing is nice idea (although in practice, reviews don't seem that enthusiastic about its functionality). And Google TV also supports Plex, so that opens you up to a whole bunch of channels that the aTV completely lacks.

But if you're an iTunes user and have movies or TV shows bought from the iTunes Store, these won't work on Google TV (friggin' DRM).

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Google TV for TV sounds like Android for phones, except not nearly as popular.

Wasn't a few years ago, at the dawn of smart (snicker) TVs, there was Google Widgets, or was it Yahoo Widgets? Dead as a doorknob 'cause I haven't heard from them since.

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
I have a Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV box as well as an ATV3. The Sony is actually very neat, makes for a very good Plex client, supports AirPlay via an app, has Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, really neat remote, HDMI pass through, can control your TV, etc ... The ATV3 is simpler, has Hulu Plus, Netflix, iTunes and AirPlay including mirroring which is neat. They are very different media devices. AirPlay is a very big plus for the ATV. The Sony GTV could be really great if Google TV didn't have such an undefined aim. They are both good. I suspect the ATV has a bright future while GTV just seems to have a bleak one, unfortunately. If Hulu is not an issue then the Sony is probably a more interesting device, though more complicated to use. Both devices feel well made.

Philip

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Based on what I've been seeing in stores, manufacturers seem to be giving up on GoogleTV and just running Android with their own custom TV-oriented skin.

longboat

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
Sony Google TV

I purchased the Sony 46 inch Google TV as a replacement unit when the units first came out. I am very pleased with the unit and am able to watch regular tv channels via Comcast and then also watch movies on Netflix and others. Can also search the internet and look at email on the unit.The software on the unit is up to date. It works very well. In contrast the Apple TV Unit which I just purchased is a pain. The Interface with the wireless routers seems to be a mystery. I have it working with a Linksys router but can not get it to work yet with the Zyxel. In contrast the Sony Google TV worked on the first try and has been working flawlessly. If you have specific questions about the Sony Google TV I will give a shot at answering them.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I purchased the Sony 46 inch Google TV as a replacement unit when the units first came out. I am very pleased with the unit and am able to watch regular tv channels via Comcast and then also watch movies on Netflix and others.

So can AppleTV and a million other devices.

Can also search the internet and look at email on the unit.

Is that the only added benefit?

The software on the unit is up to date. It works very well. In contrast the Apple TV Unit which I just purchased is a pain.

How so, is browsing through giant icons in ATV too simplistic for you?

The Interface with the wireless routers seems to be a mystery. I have it working with a Linksys router but can not get it to work yet with the Zyxel.

Oh, you meant to discuss ATV's wireless interface...what interface?

In contrast the Sony Google TV worked on the first try and has been working flawlessly. If you have specific questions about the Sony Google TV I will give a shot at answering them.

Ya...so far you have been very convincing...:rolleyes:

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I purchased the Sony 46 inch Google TV as a replacement unit when the units first came out. I am very pleased with the unit and am able to watch regular tv channels via Comcast and then also watch movies on Netflix and others. Can also search the internet and look at email on the unit.The software on the unit is up to date. It works very well. In contrast the Apple TV Unit which I just purchased is a pain. The Interface with the wireless routers seems to be a mystery. I have it working with a Linksys router but can not get it to work yet with the Zyxel. In contrast the Sony Google TV worked on the first try and has been working flawlessly. If you have specific questions about the Sony Google TV I will give a shot at answering them.

I may be an exception but why would I ever want to see my email on my HDTV? Or search the web with a crappy remote? I have a smart phone that can do both. And a tablet, and an ultrabook book. My HDTV is for TV and films, I can do everything else on my other devices.

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
It seemed interesting until I read the media supported ....

"MKV/H.264 : Yes (*.mkv)(TrueHD/DTS audio are not supported)"

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666546802#specifications

Like many others, I like to rip and backup my BD's & DVD's and want to maintain the best possible sound/picture.

This might not be the product for you. I would suggest a WD TV box that can play media from an attached hard drive. Or, you could set up a Plex Media server and the google tv would play those files anyway through the Plex app as that transcodes the media for you.

To OP, it's more useful if you have a cable subscription (I think particularly Dish Network) as it allows you to search for content through either cable, YouTube, Netflix, etc. I've got the older Sony model that plays blu-rays. I mainly use it as a Plex client.

I don't think google tv has taken off much yet. There isn't a whole lot in the way of decent apps (Spotify would be great), but there is some useful stuff here.

dnjmarlboro

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I've been using ATV2 and ATV3 since Day one, but i just ordered a Sony Google TV.
I'm sick of waiting for an Jailbreak (or App Store) for the ATV3. I will install Plex on the new Unit because i like Plex much more than iTunes homesharing, which i use with ATV3.
Even if there would be an Jailbreak or an App Store and i could install Plex on my ATV3 it would never play a Movie in 24p.

I really like my ATVs but i can't see any forward-looking development from Apple. So i will use Plex on ATV2 in my bedroom and Plex on GTV in my Main Room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.