Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
interesting notes. yeah it happens everyday in the evenings. a electrical buzzing voltage sound that is loud (i can hear it about 5 feet away) i did purchase voltage regulator. this one to be exact:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RA60/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And still the buzzing occured.

Also i recorded another sample of the buzzing noise here:

https://soundcloud.com/pavl-1/imac-noise3

I also had a similar issue a while ago - testing the open iMac in front of me, the technician showed me the PSU making that "frying coil sound", especially when under heavy load. I changed it for 200 bucks and all is fine now.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I also had a similar issue a while ago - testing the open iMac in front of me, the technician showed me the PSU making that "frying coil sound", especially when under heavy load. I changed it for 200 bucks and all is fine now.

interesting. so apple came to your house and fixed it and billed you?

----------

Well it's clearly PSU-related. I can't imagine replacing the iMac would solve the issue, but you never know...

Where are you located?

los angeles.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
interesting. so apple came to your house and fixed it and billed you?

----------

los angeles.

My recommendation is to take it to a friend's house. It's really easy to put the iMac in the box, so just do that, bring it over to a bud's house, and make sure it's not something in your house. Honestly, if it does it at certain times of the day it's unquestionably a power-in-your-house/area issue. Now whether it's the iMac being sensitive to it or symptomatic of a bigger problem - I don't know. But now you know the issue, the question is what to do to address it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Well it's clearly PSU-related. I can't imagine replacing the iMac would solve the issue, but you never know...

Where are you located?

The reason the "not-so-geniuses" couldn't reproduce the issue is because it isn't a problem with the computer. And that box you've bought won't work - you're going to need a decent UPS and/or noise filter. You won't get that for $40.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The reason the "not-so-geniuses" couldn't reproduce the issue is because it isn't a problem with the computer. And that box you've bought won't work - you're going to need a decent UPS and/or noise filter. You won't get that for $40.

Agreed. I really think it's a house-power issue.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012

i see. but couldnt it be the imac internals being too sensative? or a coiling problem with its psu?

----------

Agreed. I really think it's a house-power issue.

i dont have the box anymore, it was so huge. but i will try to lug this thing over to a friends house to check it soon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.