Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:16 AM   #26
Satnam1989
Banned

Haha - Apple's resistant yet to another thing has made it "un-famous" - This is great:

So far Apple has proven that in 2013:
- We don't need NFC - as we can do just fine without it
- We don't need Quad-Core processors that fill spec sheets for our mobile phones in order to have the best experience
- We don't need 2-3GB of RAM on our smartphones, we can do just fine with 1GB all while having the best experience
- We don't need any of Samsung's "Innovations" such as that fly over finger tech, eye gesture? - as those features are jus gimmicks and nothing more.
- We don't need LTE-A as its "rarely" available, it makes sense, I think apple would much rather perfect their iPhone that supports LTE-A than just release one without testing it well enough - much like what Samsung does.

One thing I think they should have included is/was AC-WiFi Support - however with the readily available WiFi networks all over - the need isn't exactly there and its more of a "want"

This is great, I love how apple always sticks by what works rather than always jumping ship at any and every chance they get, we can clearly see apple spends the time to perfect before moving on.
Satnam1989 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:44 AM   #27
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
…..I love how apple always sticks by what works rather than always jumping ship at any and every chance they get, we can clearly see apple spends the time to perfect before moving on.
Their relentless pursuit of an exquisite and impeccable user experience is in their DNA, no seriously, they do try hard to give us a great user experience.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:29 AM   #28
markie
macrumors 6502a

NFC is fantastic. I should have my iPhone 5C and it's the one thing I'll miss from my Nexus 4. Just tap and pay without pulling your wallet out at any US merchant that takes contactless cards. It truly is amazing, and if more merchants took contactless it'd be fantastic.
markie is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #29
pmz
Banned

They must have wanted someone to use it, or something..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
NFC is fantastic. I should have my iPhone 5C and it's the one thing I'll miss from my Nexus 4. Just tap and pay without pulling your wallet out at any US merchant that takes contactless cards. It truly is amazing, and if more merchants took contactless it'd be fantastic.
Overhyped, overrated, incredibly insecure, and not something I would use even if Apple lost their mind and convinced themselves it was anything but what it is.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:57 PM   #30
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
That was my point. People are claiming Google is desperate but it's just a matter of them going where the money is.
Except for the whole Motorola Mobility $12.5 billion money pit thing.
Google went to where the money isn't.
MM is still bleeding cash.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
They must have wanted someone to use it, or something..

----------

Overhyped, overrated, incredibly insecure, and not something I would use even if Apple lost their mind and convinced themselves it was anything but what it is.
Butt-hurt much?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:04 PM   #31
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

----------

Butt-hurt much?
Am I the only one amused when people talk about how something is bleeding cash?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:11 PM   #32
markie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
NOT incredibly insecure at all, unlike an unencrypted (NON-EMV) contactless card, the phone payment is ONLY readable with the screen on and wallet app unlocked. VERY secure.
markie is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:12 PM   #33
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
All companies have failures. You can't make money unless you take risk.
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:32 AM   #34
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
I'm happy about this mainly because I want a solid alternative to PayPal.
If we're talking about PayPal alternatives, I want Dwolla to take off. FREE transactions under $10; 25¢ for ANY other amount. It's an internet merchant's wet dream… but nobody uses it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
- We don't need any of Samsung's "Innovations" such as that fly over finger tech, eye gesture? - as those features are jus gimmicks and nothing more.
I have to disagree with you on this. (The rest of your post, I agree with.)

The fly-over finger tech has crazy potential — and eye gestures raise some interesting possibilities, too.

I don't know how well they're implemented on Samsung's stuff, and maybe they're gimmicky there, but the very fine-line difference between a gimmick and a good idea isn't what it does but why it does it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:32 PM   #35
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
All companies have failures. You can't make money unless you take risk.
Google has apparently forgotten that time-honored phrase: "due diligence."
As in carefully reviewing Motorola Mobility's past, current, and future business plans.
As in carefully reviewing MM's patent portfolio (which was the real reason for the acquisition.)
And who knows what else Google forgot to do with respect to "due diligence."

And why would any corporation bother with all that hard stuff?
Because some risks are better than others.
Better to minimize the risks and/or get a clear understanding of the risks.
Too much money at stake to just goof around and try random tactics.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 06:22 PM   #36
aquadisiac
macrumors 6502

definitely not giving google access to my finances.
Time Capsule
aquadisiac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:33 AM   #37
disinfectant
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to disinfectant
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
I'm happy about this mainly because I want a solid alternative to PayPal.
Venmo! Well at least for peer to peer.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:17 AM   #38
markie
macrumors 6502a

What I laugh at is the NFC hate on here just cause Apple doesn't have it. If Apple added it this release, everyone would be gushing over it. I'm sorry, I LOVE my new iPhone 5C but NFC is BY FAR the Android feature I miss most. It's so nice. Tap a friend's phone to send them your contact info. Or a picture (when combined with Bluetooth). Tap a PIN pad to pay at the store without even digging in your purse. Look at Japan where a proprietary contactless system can be used to pay for almost everything. It's one of the things people DON'T like about iPhones there. And Americans wouldn't either if they knew.

Obviously, I find the platform as a whole far better thus why I decided to get the 5C. But don't kid yourself, NFC, especially NFC contactless payment, is freaking amazing.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:50 AM   #39
Surreal
macrumors 6502a

NFC might be nice with Touch ID. I actually hoped that both would make it into this generation. TouchID to verify purchase.

It might happen next year. I imaging that Apple would want to vet one technology at a time and Touch ID has more whiz bang.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:56 AM   #40
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
What I laugh at is the NFC hate on here just cause Apple doesn't have it. If Apple added it this release, everyone would be gushing over it. I'm sorry, I LOVE my new iPhone 5C but NFC is BY FAR the Android feature I miss most. It's so nice. Tap a friend's phone to send them your contact info. Or a picture (when combined with Bluetooth). Tap a PIN pad to pay at the store without even digging in your purse. Look at Japan where a proprietary contactless system can be used to pay for almost everything. It's one of the things people DON'T like about iPhones there. And Americans wouldn't either if they knew.

Obviously, I find the platform as a whole far better thus why I decided to get the 5C. But don't kid yourself, NFC, especially NFC contactless payment, is freaking amazing.
you can text a contact from your iphone in 2 seconds. no point in touching the phones
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:05 AM   #41
markie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
you can text a contact from your iphone in 2 seconds. no point in touching the phones
NFC is MUCH more reliable and doesn't involve typing a number.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 03:56 AM   #42
CKA
macrumors member

Talking

Quote:
Google goes anywhere it can make a profit.

----------

Send some to me to see how well it works .

I think not exactly. Google go all the way that it can collect your privacy information and sell to its client .

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion