Switching from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
SantaClause
macrumors newbie

Switching from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard

Hi all,
I just purchased a new mac mini with Mountain Lion on it. I use my computer almost exclusively for audio production with Pro Tools and my version of Pro Tools doesn't support ML. My current computer uses Snow Leopard and is very stable and I would like to continue to use that until ML support is added for my version of Pro Tools.

My question is, will I be able to go back to ML from SL even though the mac mini didn't come with any physical version of the OS? Do I have a license in the app store or something where I could download ML for free or do I need to do some kind of time machine back up before I install SL?
SantaClause is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Which version of Pro Tools are you using...?

I'm afraid the new Mac Minis can no longer run Snow Leopard. The OS simply does not have the necessary drivers to support the latest hardware. Your only option is to upgrade PT to version 10.

I understand your dilemma, I have PT 7 myself, runs fine on Snow Leopard but not Mountain Lion. I'm glad I still have my old SL compatible MacBook Pro so I keep a partition for SL just in case I need to run PT.
Eithanius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
SantaClause
macrumors newbie

Oh man...that's pretty much the one thing I didn't consider when picking out my computer...I am running Pro Tools 9 and think maybe I read somewhere that 9 works with ML even though it's not officially supported. I just don't want to deal with any issues related to stuff like that.

I was going to try to skip PT 10 altogether and upgrade when 11 came along...I guess I have to rethink that.

It's really a shame because PT9 and SL worked perfectly together but my computer didn't have the necessary power...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to try out 9.0.5 if you have not already done so...
Eithanius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

New Macs will almost never boot with versions of the OS earlier than they shipped with. I would think the Ivy Bridge and HD4000 GPU are not supported in Snow Leopard.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
SantaClause
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post
Your best bet is to try out 9.0.5 if you have not already done so...
I tried this and it seems ok so far. Still going through the process of installing and updating everything and hope to get some tests done by the weekend.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X